Age of Spam

sewaterman

Twice today I've found new junkmail in my hotmail account which shows a date received that is two days ago. As a result SpamCop bonces it as too old. Does Hotmail have a problem or have the spammers found a way to forge the date line ?

Many things can be forged. However, if HotMail was the last server involved in handling that e-mail, then that particular line could only be "forged by the spammer" if the spammer had control of that HotMail server. This would not be a normal condition ... so one would more likely go with the history of HotMail servers having issues. You talk of two days, but cases of them being years off have existed in the past.

You say you saw two today, what are the odds that they both were touched by the / a same server?

If you look close, I've noticed that a "good" e-mail shows up pretty fast (time between receipt and placed into the InBox) .... those that are not seen as good / clean items, detined for the Junk / Bulk Folder seem to take theri time .. but you'll have to analyze your own e-mail to see if your situations are the same.

As dbiel stated, without a Tracking URL to look at a specific item, this is all discussed in conjecture mode, based on historical issues and facts.

Archived