IBM a spammer?

kwdavids

I was trying to decide whether I should give the SpamCop blacklist more weight in our spam decisions, so I ran a search of my archived mail to see if any legit mails had been marked as being on the SpamCop blacklist. One from the IBM Partnerworld for Development newsletter popped up. A check with SpamCop disclosed that

207.25.249.18 (isource.ibm.com)

was on the blacklist.

This leads me to wonder if any large mailer, no matter how careful, will eventually end up on the SpamCop blacklist because of the small percentage of errors by reporters?

In response to the topic, it appears that YES, they are a spammer.

207.25.249.18 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

Since SpamCop started counting, this system has been reported about 100 times by about 50 users. It has been sending mail consistently for at least 39.8 days. In the past 574.6 days, it has been listed 88 times for a total of 55.3 days

In the past week, this system has:

Been reported as a source of spam less than 10 times

Been detected sending mail to spam traps

Been witnessed sending mail about 1320 times

+list of 15 reported headers.

In fact I got one of these and received a human reply with a phone number for Dan Knutson, iSource Project Manager. I spoke with him about this for a few minutres, but only offered to remove me from his list and inquire up the chain for the group creating the list to do the same. I declined that offer.

Apparently, his group gets their "opt-in" list from another group within IBM, but he had no knowledge as to how they got the list. He did mention that a spamtrap was involved.

To answer your question:

This leads me to wonder if any large mailer, no matter how careful, will eventually end up on the SpamCop blacklist because of the small percentage of errors by reporters?

It takes at least 2 reports and usually a percentage of the traffic monitored as coming from that IP. High quantity mailers have a harder time getting on the list than smaller ones.

This case was no error by reporters. I have only dealt with IBM as far as reading their web pages to search Lotus Notes fixes. I have never signed up for anything with them. The subject of the spam I received was: ADV: IBM Certified Used PCs February offers

Hope this helps

Archived