Should I register my backup-MX?`

I'm not sure I did this right...

The registration-process (or what you might call it) found that I have a backup-MX - a friend of mine also have his own mail-server at home, so we set eachother up as backup-MX'es in DNS...

So, I got the system to send me a mail both directly and though his system, and now it has registered both.

Now, should my line be down, my mail will be routed through his system, but I'm still not sure if I did it right, or if I should delete him as a host?

If I should, it would be easier if I knew which one it is - I now have to mailhosts with the same name, but different IP's. Unfortunately the IP's isn't listed in the dropdown-box by the delete-button. Both lines are identical... So, is the last added host the bottom one or the top one?

If you successfully registered both, then I'm not sure of the question. Have you checked what happens when you try to submit a spam/e-mail from both ssystems? As per the Pinned items (read before posting and all that) the database is a bit of a "shared" asset, so it's hard telling which is which, perhaps suggesting that you should/could have used some sort of differing name to label the two different hosts?

Your Topic title is a bit mis-leading, as your post states that you in fact did already register the backup server ...????

If you successfully registered both, then I'm not sure of the question.  Have you checked what happens when you try to submit a spam/e-mail from both ssystems?

No, I did not check what happens if I submit anything from the backup-MX - I do not send outgoing mail through it, but mail TO me may be routed through it instead of sent directly to me...

Your Topic title is a bit mis-leading, as your post states that you in fact did already register the backup server ...????

Yes, I did register it already, but now I'm not sure if I should have...

I hope this clarifies it a bit?

I'm not sure I did this right...

The registration-process (or what you might call it) found that I have a backup-MX - a friend of mine also have his own mail-server at home, so we set eachother up as backup-MX'es in DNS...

So, I got the system to send me a mail both directly and though his system, and now it has registered both.

Now, should my line be down, my mail will be routed through his system, but I'm still not sure if I did it right, or if I should delete him as a host?

If I should, it would be easier if I knew which one it is - I now have to mailhosts with the same name, but different IP's. Unfortunately the IP's isn't listed in the dropdown-box by the delete-button. Both lines are identical...  So, is the last added host the bottom one or the top one?

21873[/snapback]

yes if you can receive email thru the backup mx and might report spam sent to you that way you should register that backup mx. If you have a concern about your mailhosts you can email me at the address in my sig and include your registered SpamCop email address and tell me which mailhosts you are concerned about.

Archived