Linux / Mail Scanner / Sendmail / Aliases

jjrowan

Several weeks ago I signed up for a promotion which required my e-mail address. I was leery so I made up an e-mail address [at] mydomain.com. The freshly made up address was specialoffers[at]mydomainname.com. Within 1/2 hour I was being spammed at that address. I went back and unsubscribed but the damage is done, I receive 20+ messages a day, all spam. Since nothing valid is arriving and I've tried opting out of each spammer's database (actually seems to escalate the problem) I wanted to have my mail server forward everything I receive at specialoffers directly to SpamCop. I set up an alias and ran newaliases but when SpamCop started receiving these they rejected it with:

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

Message forwarded in html wrapper.

When forwarding spam, use a MIME attachment or text-type message with

the spam enclosed. Do not send spam in HTML format. Sometimes this

error is caused by using a "resend" feature to forward spam.

HTML spam should be sent in text (source code) format.

I don't know how to configure Sendmail to forward this way. I thought Procmail might be a solution but Procmail's receipes and I don't get along.

Can someone tell me if there is a way to have Sendmail route to SpamCop in the proper format?

Wazoo, since this seems to be more of a reporting issue than a mailhosts issue, please move it to the appropriate forum...

Since nothing valid is arriving and I've tried opting out of each spammer's database (actually seems to escalate the problem)

This is why most people suggest not clicking on any links within a spam message. They were unscrupulous enough to add you to a list your never agreed to so why do you expect they will remove you when asked?

I set up an alias and ran newaliases but when SpamCop started receiving these they rejected it

This is in the FAQ somewhere. Yes, it sounds like you are doing the erquivalent of redirecting the message intact, so spamcop does not see the original headers. It expects to see the headers for the submission, a blank line (normal SMTP header terminator), the headers of the spam to you, another blank line and the body of the spam. When the message is redirected, spamcop can not find the headers of the message being sent to you...it looks like the spam was sent directly to your submit.* address.

I don't know sendmail or procmail so I can not help you there but the answer may also be in the FAQ.

Archived