POPing email from Spamcop

Hi all and happy new year !

Im having a strange problem with my spamcop account. Im using Outlook XP to get the mails from the spamcop server via POP3. The funny thing is that Outlook displays every times different number of messages that are in the inbox folder. For example if I have 80 messages Outlook retrieves 49 or so. Another funny part is that some messages are not retrieved at all ?

What is going on with Spamcop ?

Thanks

Just a quick guess ... your initial connection shows e-mail sitting in the InBox .. the "logging in" process activates the filters .. thus, while Outlook is downloading e-mail, the SpamCop servers are in the process of "handling" the InBox contents ... thus of your 80 'initial' e-mails, only 49 weren't moved to Trash/Held/Whatever Folder ... ????? Have you logged in via IMAP or the webmail interface to see if those "missing" e-mails are in fact present, but in another Folder? Again, just a quick guess.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have now 25 messages. From IMAP I can see them and download them. Using POP im getting only 23 of them and the Outlook displays 25 of 25 ... done and it does not delete the messages, but instead it displays a timeout error

Just a quick guess ... your initial connection shows e-mail sitting in the InBox .. the "logging in" process activates the filters .. thus, while Outlook is downloading e-mail, the SpamCop servers are in the process of "handling" the InBox contents ... thus of your 80 'initial' e-mails, only 49 weren't moved to Trash/Held/Whatever Folder ... ?????  Have you logged in via IMAP or the webmail interface to see if those "missing" e-mails are in fact present, but in another Folder?  Again, just a quick guess.

22321[/snapback]

Then the "quick guess" there is that message #24 is hosed for some reason. Yes there are 25 queued for delivery, but #24 won't "happen" .. thus #25 never gets touched .. therefore the "queue never empties" .... If you are using IMAP, can you "move / delete" #24 and then see what happens? (of course noting that you may have to play a bit to figure out just which message really is #24, details may be a bit slewed by your sorting order in your views via IMAP ... maybe looking at the 23 received and figuring out whch two are 'missing' .. one of them being the 'bad' e-mail)

Then the "quick guess" there is that message #24 is hosed for some reason.  Yes there are 25 queued for delivery, but #24 won't "happen" .. thus #25 never gets touched .. therefore the "queue never empties" ....  If you are using IMAP, can you "move / delete" #24 and then see what happens?  (of course noting that you may have to play a bit to figure out just which message really is #24, details may be a bit slewed by your sorting order in your views via IMAP ... maybe looking at the 23 received and figuring out whch two are 'missing' .. one of them being the 'bad' e-mail)

22329[/snapback]

I can see all my messages using IMAP. I retrieve them and afterwards I delete them. Everything fine using IMAP. But for a reason some messages are skipped during download and the whole think mixes up. There are no restrictions from Outlook. I will try to install Office 2003. I will also try to get the messages from OE to see what is going to happen

Found It !!! I removed the option from NAV to scan the incoming and outgoing mail messages. Hope this is the solution after all :)

I can see all my messages using IMAP. I retrieve them and afterwards I delete them. Everything fine using IMAP. But for a reason some messages are skipped during download and the whole think mixes up. There are no restrictions from Outlook. I will try to install Office 2003. I will also try to get the messages from OE to see what is going to happen

22346[/snapback]

Found It !!! I removed the option from NAV to scan the incoming and outgoing mail messages. Hope this is the solution after all :)

22372[/snapback]

Certainly hope that works for you. Virus scanners have an uncanny ability to time out when scanning mail arriving via POP3 or SMTP :(

Andrew

Archived