spam that appears not to reach you

i have used spamcop.net for about a year now

3 or so months ago i was being inundated with spam and decided to move to the 'mole' version of reporting because i was worried that the spammers were taking offense at my observed actions against them

i found that the action set up in spam then resulted in no rewports being sent to me (as expected, since it is a 'neutered' versionof spam reporting)

however, i have recently decided to have a proper 'go' at the spammmers again and have tried to revert to the pre-mole stage

but i am still not receiving any reports from spamcop.net, to approve and indicatethat the spam is real

i had a feeling earlier in the year that the action was not working correctly within Safari (i am a mac user running 10.3.7 and using Mail and Safari)

how can i get the spam reporting to WORK properly?

however, i have recently decided to have a proper 'go' at the spammmers again and have tried to revert to the pre-mole stage

but i am still not receiving any reports from spamcop.net, to approve and indicatethat the spam is real

i had a feeling earlier in the year that the action was not working correctly within Safari (i am a mac user running 10.3.7 and using Mail and Safari)

22349[/snapback]

Just to check, are you submitting the spam by Email or using the website interface?

If the latter then you will not get a report back unles you use quick reporting.

Andrew

reports from spamcop.net, to approve and indicatethat the spam is real

I have to say .. that really has some bad connotations there. You are the decision maker that decides whether it is spam or not. Only afer deciding that an e-mail is spam, would then make the decision to use the SpamCop parsing and reporting tool.

Now, to use the SpamCop reporting and parsing tool, there's more work to be done. There are a number of methods that you can submit your spam. Unfortunately, not all users have the same capabilities, based on the tools, applications, and even knowledge involved. As agsteele points out, there is a question as to how you've been submitting. I'll go beyond that and mention that your identified tool set has issues ... have you been through the FAQ yet? Items like "how do I get full headers ..." as a for instance.

i am using Mail, and i was using an action/applescript to automatically report junk emails to spamcop.net

i then would get bunches of reports to either send on, or discard

but nowadays i don't, so something is broken

i have just done it manually on the website and that gave me a report in a few seconds (the action always took a while, and i would receive emails with links for each report)

just wondered why it doesn't work anymore, but maybe i should find out who made it and see if they made an update

peter

answer to the first part of your reply - no problem with choosing what to report, think you misunderstood

re the reporting 'tool', yes i do need more info

bbut this worked satisfactorily for more than a year, and i am quite used to using spamcop.net, it's simply broken

as said before, i think i need to find the originator of the action and take it from there

peter

From the "used to work" and "now it doesn't" ... first guess would be the package done up by subsume (link in the FAQ) ... there were some major issues with the stuff and methodolgy of submittals from those folks that lead to some attitude ... just a guess at this point.

answer to the first part of your reply - no problem with choosing what to report, think you misunderstood

re the reporting 'tool', yes i do need more info

bbut this worked satisfactorily for more than a year, and i am quite used to using spamcop.net, it's simply broken

as said before, i think i need to find the originator of the action and take it from there

peter

22385[/snapback]

I'm not sure 'it' is broken. If SpamCop wasn't working you can be sure that there would be more folk around here complaining than just you. So 'it' is more likely to be something in the way your automated system works. As we can't see the actual messages leaving you en route to SpamCop for reporting all we can offer is guess-work to suggest ways of diagnosing your problem.

Have you tried a completely manual Email submission? I'm assuming you have with the same error. In that case you'd need to check that the full headers and content are being forwarded by your mail program. As Wazoo noted, submission is tighter these days to avoid some of the errors and false reporting that went on a year or so back.

Andrew

Archived