| address #1  | text of e-mail       |
| address #2  | selected above       |
|_____________|______________________|

Assumnptions;

Default OE6 install under Windows, as in above depiction

Inbox is selected / highlighted

spam #1 is to be reported

Logged into "your" www.spamcop.net web=page

"we" are not going to "open" the e-mail "spam #1" because "we" don't care what is says

keyboard shortcuts ignored

right-click on the Subject Line of spam #1

select Properties

select the Details tab

Click the Message Source button

right-click in the pop-up, hit "Select All" (contents will become highlighted)

right-click somewhere in the now-highlighted text, click on "Copy" which places the copy of everything highlighted into the Windows "clipboard"

Close both of these pop-up items

go to your browser window, looking at "you" www.spamcop.net page

right click inside the "box" ... select "Paste" (your "copied" spam should appear in the box)

Click the "Process spam" button

(the resulting display has some different possibilities, based on checkbox clicks and/or settings made under your account Preferences ... such as "Show Technical Details" which can be used to learn, troubleshoot, double-check the parser results ...)

Eventually (free-users see a bit of a nag screen) you will see the results of the parser analysis of your spam. You need to review this list of intended targets to receive a complaint about this specific spam. Things you may see;

Responsible party - the ISP that 'owns' the address space that the spam came from (this report also adds to the details in the SpamCopDNSBL for that IP address)
    Interested Paty - possibly the upstream of the IP address space owner, possibly someone else, in some cases, it may even be the spammer
    Third-Party - see above
    Spamvertised web-site - usually reporting to the Hosting service of that web-site
    SpamCop dev/null address - usually indicative of an ISP that cares not about their good name and for whatever reason rejects/bounces/or ignores SpamCop reports/complaints ... though reports don't go to this target, if the source of the spam, the data is added to the SpamCopDNSBL
    SpamCop Bad Rporting address - you are trying to report a non-routable IP address, or even worse, one of SpamCop's addresses - last example was a user reporting as spam a Forum generated e-mail advising her of a PM written to tell her about the handling of one of her Forum postings

(If you see something odd, totally wrong or off-the-wall, and you'd like to ask for someone else's reading of the parse results ... go back up to the top of that page .. you'll see a reference to "your Tracking URL" [you should note that the URL offered matches the web page you are actually viewing] ... right-click on that long URL and "copy shortcut" [which again, places that data into your Windows clipboard] ... either save that copied shortcut somewhere, promise not to save anything else to the clipboard for a bit, or simply leave that page open while you go to either the newsgroups or here to the (Reporting) Forum and post your query, offering up that Tracking URL [by right-clicking and selecting "Paste"] for someone to look at and hopefully explain what they see. After posting that data, then make a decision as to whether you want to Send or Cancel the Reports. Just be advised that the parser is "live" and results are based on data present when it is run, so there is a chance that what you saw may not be what someone sees later, due to something changing in the time you ran it and the time someone else looks at it.)

Once "you" have made the decision on which reports to send out ... click on the "Send spam Report(s) Now" button. (Clicking on the "Preview" button allows you to see what is actually going to be sent out.)

You should then get a screen listing the report ID numbers and addresses your SpamCop complaint has been sent to.

At this point, go back to your InBox and handle the "spam #1" item, probably by right-clicking on the subject line again and selecting "Delete"

21Jan05 -added content per Miss Betsy's input

I know that the preview pane is default, but wouldn't it be a good idea to tell them to close it?

Also maybe point out where the tracking URL is and what you have to do to save it. (I thought that to save it you clicked on it and it got saved somewhere - and while there aren't many who think that, I am not the only one who saw it that way at first).

If I have time, I will read more carefully. and give you my version - though not many newbies like keyboard commands like ctrl a and ctrl c, do they?

Miss Betsy

I know that the preview pane is default, but wouldn't it be a good idea to tell them to close it?

Well, I went with starting with a "default" mode so as try to make a straight run through the sequence ... adding in that block on the Tracking URL sure hurt that plan <g>

Perhaps yet another sub-forum on security settings?

If I have time, I will read more carefully. and give you my version - though not many newbies like keyboard commands like ctrl a and ctrl c, do they?

Ah, how things have changed. I remember working in an office, raising my voice and everything at a meeting .. after hearing that the guy they'd put into this new "IT" office has just finalized the order for some new computers .. all of them with something called "Windows" installed .. none of them would have a mouse, as he didn't want people "playing games" ....

Then the forced-away-from-the-keyboard problem, having to remove all those fantastic memory resident hot-key bits developed in the MS-DOS days that had to be removed so there was enough free memory to run Windows ....

And if you modify that reporting part significantly (the part I swiped for my post) can you edit mine or let me know so I can edit it.

Added that one monster of a paragragh ... I'll look at it later to see about re-structuring it a bit ... actually thinking now about removing it and having the Tracking URL as it's own Topic ...??? ... again, trying to do the keep-it-simple thing, then build on that ...???

To tell you where my mind is at, I was reading your write-up and was amazed that you were using the same words I'd typed in a short while before .. I was probably three or four sentences in (still amazed) when it dawned on me that I really was reading the words I'd just typed in a short while before ... yep, time for a break <g>

My version:

Assumnptions;

Default OE6 install under Windows, as in above depiction

Inbox is selected / highlighted

spam #1 is to be reported

Action: Log into "your" www.spamcop.net web=page

Return to inbox

Move mouse to spam #1 (Do Not Open!)

right-click on the Subject Line of spam #1

pop up boxes will appear when you select Properties & Details in actions below

Action: select Properties

select the Details tab

Click the Message Source button

right-click in the pop-up, hit "Select All" (contents will become highlighted)

right-click somewhere in the now-highlighted text, click on "Copy"

You have copied the Message Source of the spam into the Windows "clipboard"

Action:Close both of these pop-up items

go to your browser window, looking at "your" www.spamcop.net page

right click inside the "box" ... select "Paste"

The copy of the Message Source spam should appear in the box

Action: Click the "Process spam" button

the resulting display has some different possibilities, based on checkbox clicks and/or settings made under your account Preferences ... such as "Show Technical Details"

Eventually (free-users see a bit of a nag screen) you will see the results of the parser analysis of your spam.

At the top of the screen, there is an URL (which is the URL of the page you are looking at). This URL can be copied to your Windows clipboard and pasted in a file you create for tracking URLs. If there is a problem, people will want to know this 'Tracking URL' for troubleshooting.

You will also see 'Skip to ...' which will take you past the Technical Details (if you have chosen to see them) to your choices of what to do with this spam.

These choices are where the reports will be sent.

You need to review this list. The list may include:

Responsible party - the ISP that 'owns' the address space that the spam came from (this report also adds to the details in the SpamCopDNSBL for that IP address)

Interested Party - possibly the upstream of the IP address space owner, possibly someone else, in some cases, it may even be the spammer (does not add to SpamCop DNSBL)

Third-Party - see above

Spamvertised web-site - usually reporting to the Hosting service of that web-site (does not add to SpamCop DNSBL)

SpamCop dev/null address - this address has indicated to spamcop that they don't want to receive spamcop reports so no reports are sent, however, the data is added to the SpamCopDNSBL

SpamCop Bad Reporting address - you are trying to report a non-routable IP address, or even worse, one of SpamCop's addresses [does SpamCop have a check box for this? If not, should it be in this list? Miss Betsy question]

It is best if you are new, to not check any boxes until you know what you are doing and whatever SpamCop parser has chosen is probably ok UNLESS it is your own ISP in which case you should cancel the report.

Clicking on the "Preview" button allows you to see what is actually going to be sent out.

Once "you" have made the decision on which reports to send out ...

Action:click on the "Send spam Report(s) Now" button.

You should then get a screen listing the report ID numbers and addresses your SpamCop complaint has been sent to.

At this point, go back to your InBox and handle the "spam #1" item, probably by right-clicking on the subject line again and selecting "Delete"

Miss Betsy

Archived