legitimate mail server blocked

eneville

Hello,

I have a customer who has reported to me that their mail cannot be transmitted:

70.85.52.46 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550-Message rejected because qmail3.uk-plc.net [212.22.96.203] is blacklisted 550 at bl.spamcop.net see Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?212.22.96.203 Giving up on 70.85.52.46.

Please could someone tell me why this is, I sent a message to a host that I know has a number of RBL checks including bl.spamcop.net and the mail got through just fine.

Who are you in relationship to the IP in question? I ask because your posting IP seems to have no connection ... if you had followed the link provided you'd have seen that spam complaints/reports had been sent out, but that address doesn't show a quick, clear connection either ... here's where the reports would have been sent;

Tracking details

"whois 212.22.96.203[at]whois.ripe.net" (Getting contact from whois.ripe.net)

Backup contact notify = ronald[at]calleva.com

rjd8-ripe = ronald[at]calleva.com

whois.ripe.net 212.22.96.203 = ronald[at]calleva.com

whois: 212.22.96.0 - 212.22.96.255 = ronald[at]calleva.com

Routing details for 212.22.96.203

Using last resort contacts ronald[at]calleva.com

Doesn't seem to be a 'normal' abuse type address.

SenderBase data shows a marked increase in recent traffic from this IP;

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day .......... 3.8 ... 327%

Last 30 days .... 3.8 ... 358%

Average .......... 3.2

Is this increase justified by something "you" did? In your outgoing e-mail attempt, did you also send your e-mail out via that same IP? Is it possible that you are asking about some e-mail coming unto your ISP/server? You don't actually make that clear. (and even that IP doesn't seem to tie to your posting IP) .. and of course, have you looked at any of the data provided in the FAQ?

It is important that you know the IP address of the servers from which you are sending email. If the server which has an increase in Senderbase is yours, if you don't know why there is an increase there, then probably a spammer is controlling that server.

OTOH, sometimes admins use the spamcop notification for any block that they are using. Have you checked the bl link to see if the IP address is actually on the scbl?

The person to ask is the admin who sent the notification why they did so.

Though if there is a problem, there are people here who, if you answer the questions they ask, will give you a lot of help in tracking down the problem.

Miss Betsy

I have a customer who has reported to me that their mail cannot be transmitted:

...snip...

Please could someone tell me why this is, I sent a message to a host that I know has a number of RBL checks including bl.spamcop.net and the mail got through just fine.

26679[/snapback]

I'm not clear but I think you are saying that Email your customer is sending to you is being rejected. That would be because his/her mail server is listed in a blocklist. He/she would have to raise that matter with his/her service provider, but it would not affect your outgoing mail.

If you are his service provider then yopu may be using a different smtp server to your customer which could then have the same effect.

Andrew

Archived