reports disabled for spam [at] uce dot org

nhraj700

Heads up! Received this email from no-reply [at] consumersentinel [dot].gov

Thank you for emailing spam [at] uce [dot] gov. You no longer need to forward your spam emails to this email box, because the Federal Trade Commission is now collecting spam through a honeypot, which is an online trap. This change makes it more efficient for the FTC to collect spam that is deceptive or violates the CAN-spam Act. This change saves tax dollars, your time, and helps the FTC collect deceptive and illegal spam.

If you lost money to a scam that started with an email, please report it at ftc dot gov/complaint. There, you can also report spam you receive.

Read more about how to limit spam, phone calls, and mail.

Confirmed on the FTC website they changed their policy and are recommending you contact your email provider.

Happy New Year!

19 hours ago, petzl said:

you think this will change?

Time will tell, but I tend to agree with your bludge statement.  I have my doubts about honeypots anyways as it may take weeks or sometimes never for these spammer domains to show up on Spamhaus or SURBL so that good registrars might take action.  At least with direct reporting they are getting somewhat live data from us "the abused". Now what they do with that direct reporting is another issue.

here's my take on this (at least the way I think I understand it):

The FTC set up honeypots, but not for spamhaus or SURBL but for their own form of collecting spam and acting upon it within their own system.

but here's the drawback:

1. Honeypots take time to be harvested.
  2. spammers (afaik) get their lists from different sources
    • existing spam lists
    • exploited emails on the darkweb
    • harvested emails (diverse forms)

unless the FTC has seeded their honeypots into the above sources (which I doubt they have) it is possible that it will take years for them to actually be able to do anything (if at all)

also the equal analogy applies with the current existing honeypots for spamcop Spamhaus and the known BLs: even though BLs are there, spam keeps coming regardless, due to different reasons:

1. spammers use different providers
    • sometimes but not more than often they are their own providers and change/add IP ranges at will or when they ended up in a BL
  2. spammers use malware infected computers (spam bots) to send their spew
  3. or use open proxies
  4. I have also seen them use IP addresses that were being transferred and thus not active anywhere (they spoofed those addresses and thus were untraceable)

Somehow I understand the FTC reasoning as they often receive spam reports that actually are not, but people just get tired of unsubscribing from emails they subscribed to once upon a time

for example: I have written to congressmen and whenever I did, I made sure not to receive their "daily digests", yet some congressmen think it is ok to send me their spew, so I end up unsubscribing once (even though I made sure to uncheck the box to receive emails), and after that, all the upcoming mails end up being reported as spam.

I could just report their emails from the getgo but I do give them a chance to clean up their act. I was going to rant here, but I promised not to go political anymore ;)

5 hours ago, RobiBue said:

for example: I have written to congressmen and whenever I did, I made sure not to receive their "daily digests", yet some congressmen think it is ok to send me their spew, so I end up unsubscribing once (even though I made sure to uncheck the box to receive emails), and after that, all the upcoming mails end up being reported as spam.

I could just report their emails from the getgo but I do give them a chance to clean up their act. I was going to rant here, but I promised not to go political anymore ;)

Tells me Americans should not be allowed to vote. 
You still get the the FTC!
If voting made any difference, they wouldn't let us do it- Mark Twain 

4 hours ago, petzl said:

If voting made any difference, they wouldn't let us do it- Mark Twain 

Sorry, I understand the sentiment, but that quote is definitely not “Twain’s”. His sentiment on voting was just the opposite:

”When a thing gets to be absolutely unbearable the people can rise up and throw it off. That's the finest asset we've got--the ballot box”

Edited by RobiBue

6 hours ago, RobiBue said:

Sorry, I understand the sentiment, but that quote is definitely not “Twain’s”. His sentiment on voting was just the opposite:

Seems you are right, though the quote is also right. But don't get upset I often say Australians should be allowed to vote either.
Just annoys me when a public service is not a service and there is nothing one can do about it, except pay taxes then die.

@klappa, IMHO the answer to your question could vary easily slip into a political discussion related to computer security in general, tolerance of other nations involvement in the US digital environment, etc.

That said, there does seem to be a shift in priorities.

On 1/11/2020 at 9:11 PM, petzl said:

spam [at] uce dot org
no longer accepts abuse reports

How come? Recently a spammer again use Amazon owned domains to finance his spam campaign to send me tons of spam. Now i can't either send spam directly to Amazon and their abuse address (they want additional information ports, destination ports etc) nor the spamcop reports (since get thrown to the dump). And now the US government ignores that a big company in the US time after time send spam to millions of people worldwide and has done it for years and Amazon doesn't care.

Edited by klappa

8 hours ago, klappa said:

How come?

spam [at] uce dot org I suspect all they did was bit-bucket reports drink coffee and eat donuts?
Now their new attack on spam is.... They don't have one?

4 minutes ago, gnarlymarley said:

If they are converting this into a sandbox, should be still be munging the address in these forums?

Probably these/this forum is scrapped for email addresses.