AOL Protocol

maz

How do I resolve AOL issues, I'm getting emails returned again from genuine emails, they appear to be treated like spam, but they say fatal error on email address.

I hate AOL they are such a pain to resolve.

In this case I replied to an aol email from a different email address because the necessary attached documents that were blocking my gmail downloads.

I have had a few of these that until now I thought were just isolated, maybe when someone from aol sends me a file, I get blocked from replying?

Any quick fix that won't send me on the usual run around?

Message-Id: <200506091459.KAB26828[at]rly-yb01.mx.aol.com>

The original message was received at Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:58:53 -0400 (EDT)

from -my server-

*** ATTENTION ***

Your e-mail is being returned to you because there was a problem with its

delivery. The address which was undeliverable is listed in the section

labeled: "----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----".

The reason your mail is being returned to you is listed in the section

labeled: "----- Transcript of Session Follows -----".

The line beginning with "<<<" describes the specific reason your e-mail could

not be delivered. The next line contains a second error message which is a

general translation for other e-mail servers.

Please direct further questions regarding this message to your e-mail

administrator.

--AOL Postmaster

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

----- Transcript of session follows -----

... while talking to air-yb03.mail.aol.com.:

RCPT To:<-private name-[at]aol.com>

<<< 550 MAILBOX NOT FOUND

Hi, maz,

...First, I have to admit to being quite confused by your inquiry. Are you trying to send some sort of e-mail to an AOL e-mail address "-private name-[at]aol.com"? If so, it seems pretty clear from the reply from AOL that there is no such e-mail address. Where did you find this e-mail address and why are you trying to send e-mail to it?

I'm fairly un-informed about AOL policies, however, an associate of mine has informed me that AOL is a PITA.

If your IP or ISP's SMTP server sends too many e-mails to AOL, you or your ISP must register w/them somehow to get on their white list, otherwise emails to them bounce.

Implicit in the responses, but not spelled out - blocks can cause the 550 (or 5.5.0) "Malbox not found" message - we can no longer trust it to mean the addressee doesn't actually exist. I have also heard some blocks give a 552 "Mailbox full" response. Slightly off topic, it seems Mailwasher can fake similar messages without the ISP being involved in their generation at all. Given all of this, I find it sometimes useful to use the DNS Stuff email testing tool on http://www.dnsstuff.com/ (bottom tool in the center column). I don't know for sure about server-side blocks (worth trying) but it certainly reveals whether an address sitting behind user blocks is real or not. Knowing they're there, appropriate action can then be taken to establish contact as suggested by the others, above.

Archived