A question only a newbie can ask

L&P521

I can't answer your question as "REPORT ROUTES" doesn't mean a thing to me ... So let's go back to the beginning .. have you registed for a SpamCop account (other than the posting rights in this Forum)?? If so, did you follow any of the links?

Hi all,

Just wondering if the REPORT ROUTES is where I go to find the actual email sender.  Im trying to find the ISP that this person has used but still have no idea how to use SpamCop.

All help will be read,

thanks

L&P521

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "REPORT ROUTES" but I suspect you're talking about a link on the parsing output page that shows the reasoning for sending reports to a particular reporting address.

No one except the ISP the sender is using can tell you the sender's true email address and none will give you any information about their users without a court order.

Depending on the circumstances SpamCop may be able to tell you the ISP the sender is using, however the current trend among spammers and other abusers is to hijack machines that have been infected with a trojan (virus) which allows them to illicitly access the machine. In cases like this it is not possible to determine who the original sender is.

Open proxies and blind open relays also effectively hide the true sender. Open proxies won't have any access logs, open relays may have access logs but it is unlikely they will admit to having any information since doing so can also cause problems for them.

Archived