Webmail rejected as attempting to relay...

In the process of corresponding with a client from my webmail account I received the following failure message.

The following message to <xxxmungedxxx[at]cartasport.com> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-"Verification failed for
<xxxmungedxxx[at]spamcop.net>\nCalled:   216.154.195.36\nSent:     RSET\nResponse:
553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA
(#5.7.1)\nSender verify failed"

I'm puzzled in that the message was destined for a mailbox at the cartasport.com domain which is otherwise functioning fine. Other messages to other domains on this virtual server delivered just fine.

To be absolutely clear:

1. The message was composed in SpamCop webmail and correctly addressed to the now munged Email address.

2. The message failed and was returned in the handshake between the SpamCop MTA (presumably 216.154.195.36) sending and the receiving MTA (212.69.206.38)

It isn't a major issue but I'm concerned that it might really be symptomatic of an underlying problem which really needs to fixed. Any webmail gurus able to shed any light?

Andrew

In the process of corresponding with a client from my webmail account I received the following failure message.

31628[/snapback]

One thing I can guess it that they are doing a simple revese DNS lookup and trying to match the domain names. You would need to get a full explaination from the administrator doing the rejection (cartasport.com)

host 216.154.195.36 = mailgate.cesmail.net ≠ spamcop.net, even though they are simply different aliases for the same company.

Another possibility is that they are refusing all spamcop conections because I see quite a few reports against that server, though they are not currently listed.

Archived