Can't figure this out

1. I login to Spamcop & copy the email address given to forward spam to SC.

2. I forward to SC as attachment.

3. I receive email back from SC saying it's been accepted as spam and to log in to resubmit.

4. I log in and am prompted to submit again.  I submit again and get told the spam is now too old. 

5. Is the reporting system really this cumbersome?  Or is the message to submit everything twice simply wrong or is it something I'm missing?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, nav2spamcop said:

1. I login to Spamcop & copy the email address given to forward spam to SC.

2. I forward to SC as attachment.

3. I receive email back from SC saying it's been accepted as spam and to log in to resubmit.

4. I log in and am prompted to submit again.  I submit again and get told the spam is now too old. 

5. Is the reporting system really this cumbersome?  Or is the message to submit everything twice simply wrong or is it something I'm missing?

Thanks.

Help if you showed a SpamCop track if possible.
If not just the headers (no spam body) removing your email address with a X
Often when sending spam from broken email servers they fall over, after awhile (days) someone reboots the server and it starts spewing the spam it accumulated days before

Edited by petzl

For your "too old" message of #4, twenty years ago spammers were making headers that looked too legitimate. The page the tracking URL points to should have a Received line that for the host where it is getting the old date.

SpamCop had introduced something called mailhosts so how old the email would be coming from your border server. (If your border email held any of the emails for any reason, then all of them would have old dates.)

On 3/22/2023 at 6:44 PM, petzl said:

Often when sending spam from broken email servers they fall over, after awhile (days) someone reboots the server and it starts spewing the spam it accumulated days before

On 3/22/2023 at 6:44 PM, petzl said:

Here's the tracking (2nd) reply from Spamcop.  Attached is the 1st reply.  I submitted both a day after I received the email.

SpamCop v 5.4.0 © 2023 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
Here is your TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6804560784z2bb34611de9f58b07679c1cf7bf4b16bz
Sorry, this email is too old to file a spam report. You must report spam within 2 days of receipt. This mail was received on Fri, 24 Mar 2023 21:43:24 -0700

SPAMCOP TRACK.txt

10 hours ago, nav2spamcop said:

1.  What's the time frame for being considered "too old"? 

2.  Do we always have to submit the spam first; wait for approval; then click link to submit spam report again?

Thanks

1. 2 days I believe is still the time frame.

2. Yes. This gives the reporter an opportunity to review the results and un-check any incorrect results.

The parser is a tool. Just a tool to help you report/fight spam. This forum is full of users complaining about spammer's IPs that are omitted from reports (false negative). It is also possible there are IPs included that are not related to spammers (false positive). It is the responsibility of the reporter to make sure false reports are not included.

10 hours ago, nav2spamcop said:

Here's the tracking (2nd) reply from Spamcop.  Attached is the 1st reply.  I submitted both a day after I received the email.

SpamCop v 5.4.0 © 2023 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
Here is your TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6804560784z2bb34611de9f58b07679c1cf7bf4b16bz
Sorry, this email is too old to file a spam report. You must report spam within 2 days of receipt. This mail was received on Fri, 24 Mar 2023 21:43:24 -0700

SPAMCOP TRACK.txtUnavailable

GnarlyMarley - thanks.  I'm guessing it's the 2 day cutoff.  Maybe the initial submission doesn't validate the date, so I don't find out it's rejected until after the followup link is clicked.  I don't check this account daily so that may be causing it.  The vast majority of my SpamCop submissions get rejected lately due to date. 

It's still happening within 2 days.  Today (Saturday) got the "too old" reply for a Thursday email. 

All my reports come back as "too old to submit" yet SpamCop reports my response time as 40 hours.  Any ideas what is going on and if I'm doing something wrong?