A bit ticked at some Aussie friends <g>

Wazoo

What the heck?!?! Last weekend, the local PBS (Public Broadcast Station) was doing their annual fund drive thing. I'll admit to being way out of touch on many things, stuck here in the fine midwest of the U.S., but ... but darnation .. how long has the "Australian Pink Floyd" been doing their thing?

First things first, concert at the Qwest Stadium in Omaha, Nebraska on 9 November, starts at 1930 (seems odd, that hour on a Wednesday, but like I admitted, I'm out of touch on many things <g>)

This "tribute" band is doing a recreation of a Pink Floyd concert, using some of the same hardware (laser light show, massive back-wall projections, even things like fuzz-boxes, etc.) that was used by the real Pink Floyd in their last tour (24+ years ago) Even the musicianship is amazingly wonderful (one of the guitarists had me in awe, remembering my days of attempting to stretch strings, but in my recollection, trying the lightest weight Super-Slinky's, my experience was breaking the dang strings more often than not <g>) It was stated that Gilmore (original Pink Floyd member) had hired these guys to perform at some of his bashes. The concept of sitting their watching some 'younguns' playing 'your' music from 20 to 40 years in the past just boggles me, that it's actually carried off is beyond fantastic.

DVD's are out there somewhere ( http://www.iptv.org for instance) for you folks with something better than the 25-year old 13" TV that I watched this on <g> (Though admitting that I wasn't 'hearing' all that well for a while, as my sound system still works fine [for the most part] <g>)

Anyway, 'thanks' for hiding the fact that these guys are out there <g>

(noting that the 'hearing' problem came up again Sunday night with a local radio station broadcasting the Cream reunuion at Albert Hall ... yet another DVD to score <g>)

... but darnation .. how long has the "Australian Pink Floyd" been doing their thing?

... Anyway, 'thanks' for hiding the fact that these guys are out there <g>

33684[/snapback]

Mate, you see more of them than we do - they went "expat" ages ago http://www.aussiefloyd.com/htmlbin/faqs.html - "Don't go to England dear, that's where all those convicts came from!" but they went anyway. And Kylie and Rolf Harris and Clive James and Germaine Greer (hmmm ... what do they say - revenge is a dish best served cold?). Anyway, I think we still have a spare ABBA tribute band kicking around here somewhere, if you're interested. And back to the Aussie Pink Floyd, saving the miniscule effort of Googling, all their show dates are at http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/news/0510043.html

Indeed ... conserve those polar bears (which you otherwise need to eat if you don't get enough sunlight ... the vitamin A thing :) We don't get polar bears here (nor in Iowa, I should think) and koalas are useless ... options limited.

• 2 years later...

OK, I ran across Kasey Chambers a number of years ago .. turned a number of 'country' folks on to her. No idea what the market might be over there, so can't say too much about her.

However, I'm currently missing my Sunday morning blues radio. Heard my first cut ever from an absolute sweetheart named Missy Higgins. Laughing at her own admission that even she got tired of hearing herself on the radio all the time. Once again, late to the party I guess, seeing as she's been around for a while. Very good piano work, some great guitar work, smooth vocals, interesting lyrics, even cute dimples <g>

http://www.missyhiggins.com has some (much too small) videos offered up via Flash (security issue for some folks) A couple of DVDs are available, but only in PAL format, dang it.

Having to admit that I'm showing my age, I guess .. as up-tempo as some of those things were, I still managed to fall asleep .... anyway, impressive musician in my mind ....

OK, I ran across Kasey Chambers a number of years ago .. turned a number of 'country' folks on to her. No idea what the market might be over there, so can't say too much about her.
Ashamed to say I'd not heard of Kasey. From Wikipedia I see she's quite successful locally but country doesn't get much airtime in the cities (where I've lived most of the time since not long after she was born). Hmmm ... she grew up shooting foxes on the Nullarbor - not much money in that game, foxes don't grow much of a coat in that country I would have thought - still, you can see them a long way off I guess (but so can the dingos ...).

Listening to a few of her numbers on YouTube I have to say her songs would have been an improvement on the fare we typically received on the regional stations "back then". In the really isolated areas the selections played by local stations were pretty eclectic therefore a bit 'unlistenable' by a good proportion of listeners at any given time. But I can tell you Plastic Bertrand's "Zap Bap Boom Wa" (whatever) is very effective on the radio alarm. As was that (Aussie) thing about "Bruce with the burnoose and his camel called Clyde". Mercifully that bit of doggerel seems to have evaporated before the internet could save it for posterity (if I am mistaken I would take it as a personal favor NOT to be disabused of that notion :D). Still, there was a definite bias to country and "Overlander trail", "Matt Savage, boss drover" and the like got fairly thrashed.

However, I'm currently missing my Sunday morning blues radio. Heard my first cut ever from an absolute sweetheart named Missy Higgins. Laughing at her own admission that even she got tired of hearing herself on the radio all the time. Once again, late to the party I guess, seeing as she's been around for a while. Very good piano work, some great guitar work, smooth vocals, interesting lyrics, even cute dimples <g>

http://www.missyhiggins.com has some (much too small) videos offered up via Flash (security issue for some folks) A couple of DVDs are available, but only in PAL format, dang it. ...

Yes Missy Higgins is/was "huge" locally, picked up several ARIA awards, even I heard of her. But she doesn't get played much on local radio lately. She certainly has a lot of material. I guess "They weren't there", "Going North" and "The River" would be a few of hers that I know of and like. Not that I'm much of a judge of music - heck I still like Johnny Horton's "Comanche the brave horse" (association forged in the formative years I guess, something to do with a kilderkin of lager - shared amongst a dozen revellers - just the one LP record and a long-ish night).

• 10 months later...

Yet another 'down under' group strikes my ears .... "Frente!" ... a bit of docs suggest that they went 'international' back in 1994 with Bizarre Love Triangle (which is what I just heard) Apparently, I'd say I missed it totally, as back around that time frame I believe any radio I had was petty much locked onto a smooth jazz station out of the D.C. area ... it wasn't really pleasant time, so this was a bit an uplift attempt during those dark days ...

BTW: somewhere after the last post, I came up with enough loose change to snag an iTunes card and put enough credit on-line to purchase Missy's music.

...Yet another 'down under' group strikes my ears .... "Frente!" ... a bit of docs suggest that they went 'international' back in 1994 with Bizarre Love Triangle (which is what I just heard) ...
Wow - rings only the faintest of bells.
... Apparently, I'd say I missed it totally, as back around that time frame I believe any radio I had was petty much locked onto a smooth jazz station out of the D.C. area ... it wasn't really pleasant time, so this was a bit an uplift attempt during those dark days ...
A time of major relocation, struggle and tragedy in my world too a real "... the good times are all gone and I'm bound for moving on ..." time. And of course it only got worse, moving only increases the stress though it seemed all rational at the time, being just where the work took us and no real alternative. But life goes on (or it doesn't) and, like the Curate's egg, "good in parts".
...BTW: somewhere after the last post, I came up with enough loose change to snag an iTunes card and put enough credit on-line to purchase Missy's music.
That's great. Seems with Frente! at least there's enough free resources to get a good sampling. I shall have to give it a spin, see what the rest of the land was listening to in that time of 'diversion'.

Geez mate, if this keeps up you'll be into the real Aussie groups before you know it (needs scripts) -

http://www.skinnyfishmusic.com.au/index2.p...=450&bh=470

(Nah, haven't a clue what the lyrics mean but they're massive in Arnhem land where girl groups are practically unheard of.)

Archived