Heads-up for webTV users

Wazoo

The next version of this Forum application has brought some complaints from webTV users .. basically, they can read most things, but apparently cannot post, some even stating that the error message that pops up includes the 'unit will power down' message ????

The released/current versiion is 2.1.3 (this forum is still running 2.0.4) .... but here's a post from Matt (the primary programmer for IPB) ...

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...dpost&p=1316087

We are looking at the possibility of adding WebTV support back into IPB, but be aware of the following problems:

1) WebTV is almost obsolete.

2) It's built on NS 4 / IE 4 technology which is almost five years old now.

3) An increasing number of websites will simply fail to work on WebTV

I understand your problem, but put simply, we're not going to rewrite large sections of the IPB code to accommodate a single user who refuses to upgrade their gateway to the internet.

We will make it so that a future version of IPB reverts to a simple textarea without java scri_pt for non-java scri_pt equipped browsers, but that's about as much as we're going to do.

It's just not viable to base the code of IPB on five year old technology - not without sacrificing all the good advancements the internet has made over the past few years.

This may make it into IPB 2.1.4 but it's not guaranteed.

The next version of this Forum application has brought some complaints from webTV users .. basically, they can read most things, but apparently cannot post, some even stating that the error message that pops up includes the 'unit will power down' message ????

35888[/snapback]

Wazoo: Do you have a way to see how many members here come in through webtv? Have you asked the deputies for any metrics they have?

The current "MSN TV 2" service they are offering now seems to be using current (probably IE) technology.

Wazoo:  Do you have a way to see how many members here come in through webtv?  Have you asked the deputies for any metrics they have?

That's a rough one. I know that there are some that I 'discovered' while backtracking their posting IP address, so I suppose I could try to do some sort of log scan and pull some numbers from there about accress from 'some' range of IP addresses (and having no idea right now if there is a block of IPs devoted to just this 'service' ..??) On the other hand, recalling some work I did for a local ISP way back when .. Radio Shack, Sears, others started selling these units, but it turned out that the only"local" number was to a town 40+ miles north .. reusulting in the grim realities of the wonders of the Internet being that next phone bill ... I built up the instruction sheet so that these webTV owners could actually reprogram the things to use this local ISP for connection (some changes made there also) ,, though as I recollect, one still had to make that first long-distance call to actually do the reprogramming ..?? 10 years ago, memory is a bit fuzzy on all that I went through tryng to get the data, write it up, then find someone with a unit to walk through it all and work out the bugs, words, etc. .... just remember that this was the only ISP around that could advertise supporting the dang things for quite a while.) But based on that, I'm not sure that all webTV users would still be using "only" that IP block ...????

Not sure if the webTV browser offers up a descriptive string to try to identify it that way ... Research needed there to I'd say ..

The current "MSN TV 2" service they are offering now seems to be using current (probably IE) technology.

35896[/snapback]

I think the last one I've actually seen in use was over 5 years ago .. way out of touch on this ...

Not sure if the webTV browser offers up a descriptive string to try to identify it that way ...  Research needed there to I'd say ..

I think the last one I've actually seen in use was over 5 years ago .. way out of touch on this ...

35929[/snapback]

The descriptive string was what I was thinking of. Actually, I've NEVER seen one of these things in the real world and only found that information by going to webtv.com.

Archived