My Turn in the Headers

Telarin

I just hate it when it is my turn to be the "From:" address of the week... On the other hand, I do get to find out whose mailservers are configured to send backscatter.

Do you all usually report these as spam for small companies on the first offense, or send them a quick note first?

I usually report the ones that should know better (rr.com, aol.com, etc) and then send a note explaining why delayed bounces are bad to the small companies via their postmaster[at] address. Of course, those are usually followed with another copy of the same email with an added explanation of why they need to have a postmaster[at] and abuse[at] address sent to the email listed in their domain registration information.

I just hate it when it is my turn to be the "From:" address of the week... On the other hand, I do get to find out whose mailservers are configured to send backscatter. 

Do you all usually report these as spam for small companies on the first offense, or send them a quick note first?

<snip>

37648[/snapback]

...Hasn't happened to me yet -- guess I'm lucky (so far)! :) <g>

...My initial reaction would be to report them. It serves the purpose of informing them of the problem and, since the SCBL is dynamic, they'll get delisted relatively quickly if they react in a timely manner to stop the abuse.

I like Telarin's approach better - if he has time.

After all, the first function of spamcop reports is to notify the server admin that there is a problem. Since it is automated, the information accompanying the report is meager. If someone has time to explain the problem, it is certainly worth a dozen spamcop reports. In fact, IMHO, it is worth to send a personal reply to the larger ISPs. There must be some staff people who know what is what and it gives them some ammunition to have a number of emails from professionals (and end users) who have taken the time to make a reasonable complaint against the practice.

I certainly would report them if I didn't get a response (or any indication that they read my email).

Miss Betsy

Archived