"No data/Too much data" message

MyNameHere

I saw some other discussions of this, but I thought I'd start another thread because mine might be a little different.

I'm using the two-part Outlook/Eudora workaround form at mailsc.spamcop.net.

I'm using Outlook 2003 with a corporate Exchange Server 2003. For a browser, I have a "customized version" of IE labeled 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2_gdr.040517-1325CO. There is a firewall, but I don't know anything about it.

When I get spam here, I copy the headers from the View | Options... | Internet headers text box and paste them into the first part of the reporting form. Then I copy either the body text or HTML source (depending on the type of email) and paste that into the second part of the reporting form.

Maybe 3 times in the past week, I have gotten the "No data/too much data" message from Spamcop.

So I go back to the form, paste exactly the same thing into the form, and voila it works fine.

Pardon my ignorance, but I just went to the history page to see my past reports, hoping I could recover my tracking URL (which I neglected to copy). But it isn't there. How can I find the tracking URL?

Is there any other information you need?

Thanks!

<snip>

Pardon my ignorance, but I just went to the history page to see my past reports, hoping I could recover my tracking URL (which I neglected to copy). But it isn't there. How can I find the tracking URL?

<snip>

37764[/snapback]

Hi, MyNameHere,

...Does FAQ Entry: Getting a Tracking URL from a Report ID help?

Okay, I think the tracking URL is:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z840751613z13...934b29509c6427z

whether or not it's any help.

Maybe it is just an intermittent bug bite...

37865[/snapback]

...When I follow the tracking URL you provided, I see:
<snip>

Sorry, this email is too old to file a spam report. You must report spam within 2 days of receipt. This mail was received on Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:54:05 -0500

<snip>

Reports regarding this spam have already been sent:

Re: 81.68.6.193 (Administrator of network where email originates)

Reportid: 1584921416 To: abuse[at]euronet.nl

Re: http://contribue.com (Administrator of network hosting website referenced in spam)

Reportid: 1584921491 To: glxk[at]gxcc.com.cn

Re: Forwarded spam (User defined recipient)

Reportid: 1584921460 To: spam[at]uce.gov

Re: 81.68.6.193 (Third party interested in email source)

Reportid: 1584921444 To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com

<snip>

No "No data/Too much data" error message; since it claims that reports were sent, it looks like you didn't get one, either. Is this the tracking URL you intended to show us?

...When I follow the tracking URL you provided, I see:No "No data/Too much data" error message; since it claims that reports were sent, it looks like you didn't get one, either. Is this the tracking URL you intended to show us?

37866[/snapback]

When you get the "No data/Too much data" message, there is no report and no tracking URL.

This URL came from the second time, when it did work. I don't know if it's any use, because by definition it worked okay that time, even though it was the same text pasted into the form.

My guess is, this is not worth pursuing because it's intermittent and merely annoying (not crippling).

:)

By the way, the "Sorry, too old..." message was not present originally, it was reported within a few hours of receipt.

When you get the "No data/Too much data" message, there is no report and no tracking URL.

37887[/snapback]

The page you are on when you get the message SHOULD be the tracking URL even if there is not the text shown on that page. Can you try taking the URL from the Address bar of the page you are on next time? We should be able to fix it here if needed.

This URL came from the second time, when it did work. I don't know if it's any use, because by definition it worked okay that time, even though it was the same text pasted into the form.

37887[/snapback]

I think you may have miss understood the response. Starting at the "top" of the email you submitted, the parser sees that the spam is to old to report and stops looking at the spam and tells you the results i.e. "spam is to old." The first time you submitted the spam the parser got past this test and then tested the length/size of the spam. The results of that test got you the "no data/to much data" error

I have gotten the same error literally hundreds of times. But if you just paste the same email back in the form and hit send it always...and I mean ALWAYS works the second time. I think its just one of those little things we are going to have to live with.

Edit: Jeff G. zapped the unattributed quoting.

Archived