Another approach

Wazoo

Complaints still raised, problems still exist, various approaches / solutions attempted and still .... while working on yet another, there came a desire to log in as a typical guest/user, so grabbed a laptop. No internet connection. Spent some time mucking about, nothing obvious wrong ... it saw my local network, just nothing outside. Second laptop snagged, same problem. Walked through the first router's configuration, no problems seen. Router #2 powered on and working as designed. Router #3 is dumb, but moved a few connections around anyway, no problem seen. Only thing left was the Airport wireless router. Problem there is that everything I have is Win-98, my iBook has been non-functional for quite a while. Had a niece's computer here that's running XP, so figured I'd go snag a file to install on her system so I could 'talk' to the Airport. While on Apple's site, I came across a Recall notice on some battery packs. Had to pull the iBook out of the pile it was in to jerk the battery pack out to check serial numbers. No luck on getting a free replacement, but .... happened to hit the test button and all 4 lights came on, suggesting that the thing had a full charge. Took a shot and yes, the iBook is currently fired up, although the wires I have running in though the hole that used to hold the power connector have to be situated just so ... a touch here and AC power is not seen, a touch there and the broken parts of the small circuit card inside make contact, presenting a nice looking bit of spark action under the translucent plastic case. Started doing a bit of research on an Apple Mail issue asked quite a while back by another user that has had no answers provided in the various queries I've made here and elsewhere asking for help ... Oh yeah, although the power cycle on the Airport should have done the same thing, running a reset / program mouse click from the utility on the iBook got things rolling for the laptop connections.

On to other things, catching up on other stuff, re-reading some old discussions, a tweak on the old attitude (for those that want some fun, try the last three (at the time of this posting) threads seen in the SpamCop-Mail newsgroup archives) ... so, as it turns out, while I was typing up some more "cool" answers, yet another thought came into being ... possibly an answer to a number of things brought up elsewhere, tossing it out for input, help, clues, whatever ....

New person arrives here, could be by accident, could be a referral, could be irate ... in the haste to make sure that their situation gets addressed, all the links to existing help are either ignored, sidestepped, or the details are just too overwhelming. Based on the writeup of one modification app, (with no demo page available) I installed it here .. something lost in translation, as it isn't near as "adaptable/modifiable" as expected. The thought there was to build a set of fill-in-the-blanks, check-the-box type forms to offer up as a way for someone to offer up the details (or at least see what's wanted) without having to go through the question/answer thing to get the data needed to try to answer a query. I started with the Why am I Blocked? scenario, tossed it out there for some other input. Some positive feedback offered, but .. as it turns out to be written for a single page thing, turns out it can't be extended to trying to handle any/all other issues gracefully (though perhaps maybe continue with it's development for that single action?) ... [[for those that don't know what I'm rambling about, there is a link at the top of the page FS .... any input on where to take it from where it stands or whether it's worth the effort?]]

The revisit to the original thought/concept still goes back to the Template thing ... (though it does still bring up the issue of placing something somewhere as an inviting link, but ignoring that for the moment) .... here's the for instance ...

Per Miss Betsy's keep it simple mode, someone else can do up the introduction to the Forum, the explanation of the user-to-user support concept, and try to explain why 'we" need data in order to try to help / resolve anything. At the end of that great document would be a list of links, titles/explanation being the reason they are 'here' ... clicking on those links would open up a new browser instance which would contain a Template listing the questions, details, tidbits that, it answered/filled in would allow an answer to be provided in the first response. Of course, the instructions on how to fill in the blanks on one screen and then somehow copy all of that data into a "new post" into the Forum would also have to be developed for those really 'technically non-fluent" ...??? Example offered up .... Test Line

Or am I again going in yet another wrong direction?

For this 'non-technical' person, you are going to have to give more details on how the Template relates to the TestLine.

I will try to demonstrate my concept in another post. Perhaps then you can explain where the TestLine would come in.

Miss Betsy

I have started a new topic in 'Going to make...' - most of the links are not filled in. I couldn't find a short explanation for people who start getting bounces with their email address in the From. The Misdirected Bounces needs editing really badly since it combines both receiving and sending and reporting information without clear separation.

Also I don't know how to fix the link to hit in the middle of the page (for the simple version of 'Why Am I Blocked?') I would still like to split it into end user and server admin.

For this 'non-technical' person, you are going to have to give more details on how the Template relates to the TestLine.

I tried .... clicking on the Test Line link opens up a new window, which was to show the 'Template' with the questions ... then I said "Of course, the instructions on how to fill in the blanks on one screen and then somehow copy all of that data into a "new post" into the Forum would also have to be developed for those really 'technically non-fluent" ...??? "

I will try to demonstrate my concept in another post.  Perhaps then you can explain where the TestLine would come in.

The additional posts you made by 'subject' would be the Templates to pop up from the list of subjects ....

I have started a new topic in 'Going to make...' - most of the links are not filled in.

That section is not abailable to but a few, which is why I started this Topic 'here'

I couldn't find a short explanation for people who start getting bounces with their email address in the From.  The Misdirected Bounces needs editing really badly since it combines both receiving and sending and reporting information without clear separation.

U synpathize .. that's part of the issue of not using technical terms when talking about technical things .. and hetting loose with words then leads to other confusion and problems elsewhere ...

Also I don't know how to fix the link to hit in the middle of the page (for the simple version of 'Why Am I Blocked?')  I would still like to split it into end user and server admin.

39776[/snapback]

Guess what, I'm going to ask dbiel for some expertise there .. I stuck in the anchor links, turned the HTML on, and results are as seen now .... my head is so screwed up right now in the differences between the various applications I'be been working in recently, I can't see where I've scewed up ....

Guess what, I'm going to ask dbiel for some expertise there .. I stuck in the anchor links, turned the HTML on, and results are as seen now .... my head is so screwed up right now in the differences between the various applications I'be been working in recently, I can't see where I've scewed up ....

39794[/snapback]

The reason it does not work is because it is a pinned post and html is not permitted in the pinned posts. As a test I did a copy and paste to a new unpinned post and the links work. See http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5867

Note: the referenced post has been deleted as it has served its purpose and leaving it here simply adds to confusion. As Wazoo noted below, my assumption was somewhat flawed but got us going in the right direction.

Dbiel did the right thing and split some following posts off .. but, to close this up a bit .. the problem is not due to the Pinned action .... there are some other issues involved .. being worked. Off topic anyway ...

Archived