Virus Protection

Probably wrong. but some of this was already in place, I thought. The current issues have once again demonstrated that the virus scanners are reactionary, thus only truly functional after the new bad things have been analyzed and added to a database, that still needs to be updated by the end-user ... I do recall that Julian was tired of trying to keep chasing down the identification items to catch the stuff coming in, but that was years ago ... and JT does the e-mail system now ...

I understant that it's an endless pursuit, keeping up with the virii mails, but an option to detect and trash with and without notification would be a blessing.

I'd swear I remember people complaining about receiving various messages from the SpamCop e-mail system about a viral infected thing being received, but the attachment was stripped, and the largest complaint was at times that this was the only notification that something had shown up at all ... this goes back a year or two, so it's just faulty memories ??? This was also the time I remember Julian giving up on trying to keep up with updating the ever changing "markers" for all the virii ...

I understant that it's an endless pursuit, keeping up with the virii mails, but an option to detect and trash with and without notification would be a blessing.

We already do exactly that for all email.

I believe that the antivirus software was slow to catch up with the lastest viruses that were using an encrypted zip file. I've been told though, and have some evidence that it's true, that the AV vendor upgraded the virus scanning engine and is able to catch those as of a couple days ago.

The problem is that it used to take days or weeks before viruses were widespread. Now it takes minutes. And all AV software has some sort of time lag between when a new virus is released and when it will catch that virus. With today's viruses, that can mean hundreds or thousands of viruses received here before we start blocking them. Still, we block 10's of thousands of viruses per day.

JT

Archived