webmail security

wrinkles

The courts are clearing the way for large scale farming of online data. I'm ready to cancel my google accounts. What can I do to keep my mail off of spamcop servers and backup tapes? Do we accept that online services (the asociated data) are open to the feds?

I have "nothing to hide" (uh, sort of, I hope, well, maybe not) but I don't like to dangle my personal information like low-hanging fruit for mass consumption.

Even if I manage to keep all my email data on my home computer only (requiring at least a warrant to access), the two-way nature of email spreads it to hundreds of servers worldwide.

To finish my rant, I'm wishing hard encryption was more generally used. No one I know actually uses it.

:ph34r:

I have "nothing to hide" (uh, sort of, I hope, well, maybe not) but I don't like to dangle my personal information like low-hanging fruit for mass consumption.

Even if I manage to keep all my email data on my home computer only (requiring at least a warrant to access), the two-way nature of email spreads it  to hundreds of servers worldwide.

Good luck. Way too many copies of any email you send are available, even without your knowledge (think BCC). A lot of companies blindly save all of their email traffic, regardless of content. So, even running your own email server will do little good if you intend to talk with anyone outside your own server.

Your mention of warrant gives me a chuckle. King George can do secret searches if its in any way tangentially related to terrorism.

As to encryption... want to bet that the NSA does not have a backdoor in every consumer grade encryption scheme? The workers there are smart. The managers may need a clue, but they get a lot of real geniuses to work there and they get all the best equipment to play with.

Your mention of warrant gives me a chuckle.  King George can do secret searches if its in any way tangentially related to terrorism.

As to encryption... want to bet that the NSA does not have a backdoor in every consumer grade encryption scheme?  The workers there are smart.  The managers may need a clue, but they get a lot of real geniuses to work there and they get all the best equipment to play with.

40796[/snapback]

Scary, isn't it? I assume by "King George" you mean dubya.

Archived