No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

swhatifg

All of a sudden (within the past couple of days), an increasing number of my spams forwarded to SpamCop are producing this message.

Today, at least, they appear to be mostly from the 'stock' people. The spam-mails look to me like they have source IPs and this occurs whether I forward the emails or cut and paste them into a report.

I have looked through the forums for solutions, but don't really understand (1) why this is happening, (2) where the problem is (my end our SpamCops parsing (?) system) or (3) what I can do about it.

Probably I am not technical enough.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Scott!

PS - Forgot examples

Here's a link:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z895114969z3b...c44434060925ddz

Here's a copy of the header:

Received: (qmail 8234 invoked from network); 11 Mar 2006 19:01:57 -0000

Received: from unknown (HELO prdmx8.nwk.iwon.com) ([10.50.30.74]) (envelope-sender <r?maddoxyy[at]russreyn.com>)

by 0 (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP

for <sweetybutt[at]prdmailbe.nwk.iwon.com>; 11 Mar 2006 19:01:57 -0000

Return-Path: <r_maddoxyy[at]russreyn.com>

Received: from attitude.com (unknown [59.32.222.100])

by prdmx8.nwk.iwon.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id DDECE34014;

Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:01:50 -0500 (EST)

Message-ID: <AJBHCLMPPILEBLBBECJIMJPPMIAA.r_maddoxyy[at]russreyn.com>

[ Add to Address Book | Block Address | Report as spam | This is not Bulk Mail ]

To: sweetybutt[at]iwon.com, swhatifg[at]iwon.com

Subject: Oil prices on the surge again. Look at this Co ...

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:45:21 +0000

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/related;

type="multipart/alternative";

boundary="----=_NextPart_000_003B_4A264EFA.1278D5BD"

X-FII-Tracking: 0.587459

The problem here is that something is introducing what appear to be blank lines into the entire message, including the Header Lines. Exactly what program are you using to access the entire message, and exactly how are you then transferring the entire message to SpamCop's Parser? Thanks!

The problem here is that something is introducing what appear to be blank lines into the entire message, including the Header Lines.  Exactly what program are you using to access the entire message, and exactly how are you then transferring the entire message to SpamCop's Parser?  Thanks!

41244[/snapback]

I'm not sure that I'm doing anything different than before the problem started. I simply use the "forward message" button and send it on to SpamCop.

It may be that I have switched from "as attachment" to "inline text" in an attempt to correct things.

I have saved two recent emails that produced the problem. Could I/should I try resubmitting those emails "as attachments"?

And thanks!

Scott!

this occurs whether I forward the emails or cut and paste them into a report.

I hope that checking to make sure that you are sending as attachment works. However, if they haven't worked when you cut and pasted, there may be some other factor at work that is inserting blank lines into the headers.

I am not technical either, but I would try to remember if I had updated anything before the problem started.

It is also noteworthy that it happens on some spam but not all IIUYC.

If trying to forward as attachment doesn't work, then the gurus who can figure out where the problem is are going to have to know what email client, operating system, ISP you use, and anything else that you can think of that could be pertinent.

Miss Betsy

Figured it out!

Thanks to all of you for help and feedback, particularly from Don..

I believe that some of the spammers have figured out a work around for SpamCops system and are somehow intentionally inserting spaces or blank lines in the header portion of the email.

In my case, this shows up primarily with stock/mortgage spams, and not so much with the pharmacy stuff. In about 15 spam submitted over the past two days, about half could not be processed by simple forwarding either as attachments or inline text. I don't believe this is part of Iwon's mail processing system.

I am working around it by cutting and pasting the headers into a submit form on Spamcop and then deleting all the blank lines. I submit everything by forwarding first and then go back to redo the ones that are rejected. It is time consuming but that's the way it goes.

If anyone can think of a simpler way, do let me know.

Scott!

Boulder, CO

Archived