whitelist & host-tracker.com

The header of the e-mail should contain the reason for being moved to the Held folder. At this point, only you can see what those headers say.

You don't say exactly how you did your whitelisting, but can point out that there's a lot of work behind the FAQ entries to explain how it works, some of the constructs, etc. Have you looked at ay of those entries to ensure that you attempted it correctly?

I have whitelisted host-tracker.com and noreply[at]host-tracker.com, but the host-tracker reports are still being caught in my spam folder. What's up with that?

42745[/snapback]

Your whitelist should only have

host-tracker.com

in Whitelist box provided

you can increase the security (less false positives) by putting in full email address

noreply[at]host-tracker.com

I believe the whitelist is broken. My suspicion is that it fails to find addesses on lines starting with "From:" followed by a tab.

Wazoo, looking why the message is blocked is not an answer. The personal whitelist should trump all blacklists.

But of course it would be great to see the full headers, or at least the From: and the X-SpamCop* lines.

Wazoo, looking why the message is blocked is not an answer. The personal whitelist should trump all blacklists.

But of course it would be great to see the full headers, or at least the From: and the X-SpamCop* lines.

As you state, my response was meant to be a hint .... headers need to be seen for anyone to come up with an answer. I seem to tick folks off if my reply was to be the more standard "look at all the items I placed in your way that talk about [How to post a question]...." .... and yet, here we are once again with no data to work with ...

OK, I've tested host-tracker.com, and they don't capitalize "From:" in the header, although they use a space after it. Following headers are not capitalized:

content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

mime-version: 1.0

subject: 61723e0c23 Activation code

to: bait[at]spam.spamcop.net

content-type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

I think Spamcop could handle it better. On the other hand, host-tracker.com should be told about the problem. It looks quite lame even if it's standard compliant.

My recollection, which may be faulty, is that the whitelist works on either the Reply-To or Return-Path headers. Can't immediately remember which (or if I'm correct) but it may be worth checking what these say.

Andrew

I actually sent two e-mail to myself from a whitelisted address. When sending one of them I put a procmail rule on the forwarding system to replace space with a tab after "From:"

Sure enough, the message with the tab wasn't whitelisted, but the unchanged message was, so "From:" is involved.

Now I have the opposite rule in my .procmailrc on the forwarding system:

:0fhw: $HOME/mail.lock

| /bin/sed -e 's/^From:\t/From: /'

It improved things greatly. I'm subscribed to mailing list where some active members live in Japan, which lands them on various blacklists from time to time. I guess the IP space is very tight in Japan, and it's hard to be in a spammer free subnet. Finding 20 legitimate e-mails in 100 spams every day was a chore. Now I'm getting 2-3 false positives a day. At least the probability of fat-fingering a legitimate e-mail is significantly reduced.

And by the way, the host-tracker.com messages are whitelisted now. I guess something has been fixed.

Archived