Forwarded emails not reporting

Lately I've noticed that when I get a spam in my inbox and do the forward to submit(blah)[at]spamcop.net that there's about a 50% chance that I'll never hear from the system again and I don't get the email with the reporting info.

Anything going on?

... Anything going on?
Not that I've noticed. Can you confirm that when you log in to the members.spamcop.net page (where you would use the submission form if you weren't emailing the spam instead) you don't see any "Unreported spam Saved" notification? If no message, that means it hasn't been getting there (which is more serious than just not getting the autoresponder message). From what I can see, the internet is under some sort of pressure at the moment but that wouldn't explain the failures. Some of us suspect our providers are doing a bit of "helpful" filtering from time to time There's some discussion at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=18297

If your provider is on the list that possibility would be real - though getting through some of the time sounds like it is something else.

Anyway, if you read through that thread you will see I have had the same problem on occasion. So, if you find out anything new ...

Not that I've noticed. Can you confirm that when you log in to the members.spamcop.net page (where you would use the submission form if you weren't emailing the spam instead) you don't see any "Unreported spam Saved" notification? If no message, that means it hasn't been getting there (which is more serious than just not getting the autoresponder message). From what I can see, the internet is under some sort of pressure at the moment but that wouldn't explain the failures. Some of us suspect our providers are doing a bit of "helpful" filtering from time to time There's some discussion at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=18297

If your provider is on the list that possibility would be real - though getting through some of the time sounds like it is something else.

Anyway, if you read through that thread you will see I have had the same problem on occasion. So, if you find out anything new ...

Crap, I don't even know what my ID/password would be for members.spamcop.net I mean, I can log in to spamcop.net (as I would to check my held mail, not the web mail) and I don't see anything about Unreported spam.

It's really sporadic. There was a couple on Friday, and one this morning. Forward and *poof* it all disappears into the aether.

Crap, I don't even know what my ID/password would be for members.spamcop.net I mean, I can log in to spamcop.net (as I would to check my held mail, not the web mail) and I don't see anything about Unreported spam. ....
Okay, I take it you just follow the links in the autoresponder email to complete your reporting, actually release the reports? There is also quick reporting which is different. Anyway, if you want to check out the submission form page mentioned above and can't locate the original SC email with the password I think the advice on a reissue (from the SpamCop FAQ at the head of the page, "Password Problems" link) is at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1001 - let's know how you get on, intermittent faults are the hardest so the more it can be tied down the better, also it might be useful to have an alternative reporting method in the meantime, I would think.

Crap, I don't even know what my ID/password would be for members.spamcop.net I mean, I can log in to spamcop.net (as I would to check my held mail, not the web mail) and I don't see anything about Unreported spam.

How about my admitting a bit of confusion here?

www.spamcop.net - California servers

members.spamcop.net - California servers

mailsc.spamcop.net - Georgia servers

forum.spamcop.net - Georgia server

By "checking for Held mail" .. it would seem that you are talking about having a spamcop.net e-mail account (actually hosted via JT in Georgia on his CESmail servers) .... but this e-mail account 'includes' a 'free' reporting account .... I'm thinking that as upi seem to be sayoing that your e-mail account credentials aren't working for a members.spamcop.net login, do they work for a www.spamcop.net login? (on which screen you'd be looking for the 'Unreported spam' indicator ....

It's really sporadic. There was a couple on Friday, and one this morning. Forward and *poof* it all disappears into the aether.

Struggling with trying to guess at just where uyou might be submitting "from" .....

Your registered e-mail address "here" leads me to;

ns3.dreamhost.com reports the following MX records:

Preference Host Name IP Address

0 mx1.balanced.randy.mail.dreamhost.com 208.97.132.30

0 mx2.balanced.randy.mail.dreamhost.com 208.97.132.31

but this is really only identifuing the registerd "incoming" IP addresses ....

SenderBase showing 80 IP addresses seen for outgoing e-mail from this Domain ...????

However, your posting IP address leads me to;

Addresses in ROYAL BANK OF CANADA used to send email

address hostname DNS Verified Daily Magnitude Monthly Magnitude

142.245.29.138 mx1.rbc.com Y 4.9 4.4

142.245.29.139 mx2.rbc.com Y 4.8 4.2

142.245.61.138 mx1.istrbc.com Y 4.8 4.2

142.245.61.139 mx2.istrbc.com Y 4.7 4.0

142.245.29.140 mx3.rbc.com 4.5 2.9

198.96.134.237 mx1.rbccm.com Y 3.7 2.9

142.245.79.21 mx1.sterbc.com Y 0.0 2.3

So at this point, I'm not sure who to suggest you contact about their "filtering" configurations, if this is part of the issue.

As suggested elsewhere, part of the troubleshooting steps in your e-mail submittal process would be to add a CC: to your outgoing, preferably to an off-site account and see if in fact the spam submittals are making it out of whichever ISP you're using for this e-mail ....

How about my admitting a bit of confusion here?

www.spamcop.net - California servers

members.spamcop.net - California servers

mailsc.spamcop.net - Georgia servers

forum.spamcop.net - Georgia server

By "checking for Held mail" .. it would seem that you are talking about having a spamcop.net e-mail account (actually hosted via JT in Georgia on his CESmail servers) .... but this e-mail account 'includes' a 'free' reporting account .... I'm thinking that as upi seem to be sayoing that your e-mail account credentials aren't working for a members.spamcop.net login, do they work for a www.spamcop.net login? (on which screen you'd be looking for the 'Unreported spam' indicator ....

Struggling with trying to guess at just where uyou might be submitting "from" .....

Your registered e-mail address "here" leads me to;

ns3.dreamhost.com reports the following MX records:

Preference Host Name IP Address

0 mx1.balanced.randy.mail.dreamhost.com 208.97.132.30

0 mx2.balanced.randy.mail.dreamhost.com 208.97.132.31

but this is really only identifuing the registerd "incoming" IP addresses ....

SenderBase showing 80 IP addresses seen for outgoing e-mail from this Domain ...????

Yes, this is where I'm submitting from. All mail comes into that domain and is immediately forwarded to djtodd[at]spamcop.net, if it passes it's sent to the "hidden" email account on synthetic.org. No problems there.

The RBC stuff is neither here nor there, it doesn't enter into the equation.

So at this point, I'm not sure who to suggest you contact about their "filtering" configurations, if this is part of the issue.

As suggested elsewhere, part of the troubleshooting steps in your e-mail submittal process would be to add a CC: to your outgoing, preferably to an off-site account and see if in fact the spam submittals are making it out of whichever ISP you're using for this e-mail ....

Shrug. I'm forced to use my ISPs SMTP server, and AFAIK they don't filter at all. If they do I'll never be able to get any sort of a proper answer out of the help desk monkeys anyhow. I wouldn't be suprised if it was filtered though, the sporadic nature of the problem kinda leads me that way too.

Archived