Real Criminal spam and what to do with it.

aDogNamedGromet

Hi

I started a topic that was about what spam cop does with Scam spam here

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...amp;#entry45069

It wasn't in the topic area but then again it could be under sugested improvments.

My topic was what does spam cop do with emails that are from real criminals trying to get something by emailing anyone. IE Nigerian spam, Irish Lotery, etc. These types of emails are not just spam they are an indication of Criminal behavior right in our email boxes. spam is spam but a criminals spam is a crime waiting to happen.

My sugestion is that the real criminal email spam should automaticaly get forwarded to the authoritys by spam cop. This would be a suggested feature. I don't mind doing it my self but it would be a good feature and I am sure spamcop gets it by the ton. If that was brought to the authoritys who could handle it it might lead to an arest of one of the people doing it. But if isn't and it stops in our email box and gets deleated there isn't any justice for it. I think the internet should be a safe place for people to be.

If any one has any thoughts on this subject please post it. Even if you have places to submit fraudulent emails are welcome.

Regards

Rick M

Toronto Canada

... My sugestion is that the real criminal email spam should automaticaly get forwarded to the authoritys by spam cop. This would be a suggested feature. ...
Nice thought Rick but there are probably some issues of jurisdiction, not to mention that SpamCop reports would not constitute "evidence" as such in the forensic sense (IMO), just tip-offs. Not necessarily "killers" but factors to be confronted, I think.

For instance - Australian spam, including the criminal type, received in Australia should be reported to the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA). That august body has indicated it might get involved in international co-operation but is principally involved in enforcing the Aus spam Act which relates to the (comparatively minor amount of) UCE originating in Australia and sent to addresses in Australia. Criminal matters are referred to the Australian Federal Police (AFP). Translation, "We ain't funded for all that other crap." The AFP is far from enthusiastic, going so far as to say in their website (dunno if it's still there) that an attempt to commit a crime is not a crime. Which is dead wrong, even for them. Translation, "We ain't funded for all this other crap."

I should imagine it would be similar in Canada though perhaps not quite as bad (the RCMP, IIUC, have considerably broader powers than have the AFP who must go through various State and Territorial Police services in most criminal matters - and their performance reviews and KPMs are moderated accordingly). With "ordinary" spam it wouldn't matter - much spam comes from the USA, just report it to US authories and Bob's-your-uncle. But it seems to me that the majority of criminal spam - with the exception of the stock scams and a heap of bank phishes (the latter probably pushed through diffuse botnets) - originate from outside the USA. Okay, the US authorities might still want to buy in (when US citizens are the targets) but then they get into the messy international co-operation thing. Without evidence, as such.

Those are problems, as I see it. If PayPal and EBay would accept SpamCop reports and they could be automatic additions to the report stream (like Habeas header spoofing - are they still?) when applicable phishes are found, I think that would be good.

If any one has any thoughts on this subject please post it. Even if you have places to submit fraudulent emails are welcome.

There are several practical issues that need to be overcome to make automated forwarding of spam messages to law enforcement agencies a worthwhile activity.

1. Most jurisdictions require there to be a complaint from a real person. Most automated stuff from SpamCop users is not identifiable

2. Most spam comes from jurisdictions that really don't care about spam Email

3. Identifying the appropriate jurisdiction to report specific spam items to is not a particularly easy process automatically.

In the end reporting in this way needs to be handled more or less manually. So if you have a spam/phishing/fraud Email that you can identify the source of then by all means forward it to the legal authorities in that place but my reading of the post is that the OP is looking for an automatic process. I'm doubtful that such a reliable and effective scheme could be created.

:-(

Andrew

spamcop doesn't 'do' andything, other than collect, parse and send out abuse reports to defined recipients. It falls on the SpamCop user to use the governmental addresses to report criminal activity.

here's the one I use: http://spamlinks.net/track-report-addresses.htm#fraud

In Canada, this is your reporting address: wafl[at]phonebusters.com.. but if an email says anything about the location of the person or item, use that country's address IN ADDITION to yours. Since these people are probably Americans (sad to admit, but true), you could probably send to the US address too

<snip>

But if isn't and it stops in our email box and gets deleated there isn't any justice for it.

...So true! But the question really is: who is responsible to report it? As mentioned by others in this thread, SpamCop wasn't really designed to provide forensic evidence to "the authorities" for prosecution. We, however, as the intended victims of the criminals, can do so.

Even if you have places to submit fraudulent emails are welcome.
...The best list, IMHO, is in your other thread in this reply accessible via a link labeled "spam Reporting Addresses."

...Also see my reply in that thread.

Archived