Abuse of my domain name

Barleyjoe

Hello fellow spam busters.

As an owner of a few domain names, all honest working domains for an honest dollar, I get huge amounts of spam daily. What made me mad was a spam useing one of my domain names as the sender about 6 weeks ago. It was at that time that I decided to wage a war in return. This eventually led me to be a spamcop. What I'd like to find out is.. Shouldn't I be able to go after the spammer for forgeing my domain name? Are there any actions concerning this type of abuse that have already taken place?

As I am a "Newbie" in the war against spam, I am looking for any tips to help make the internet an enjoyable experience.

Jeffrey Haines

Brewers Connection

brewersconnection.com

What I'd like to find out is.. Shouldn't I be able to go after the spammer for forgeing my domain name? Are there any actions concerning this type of abuse that have already taken place?

Sure there are, but you also mention earning an honest dollar, not millions of those honest dollars. To wage the war you refer to here requires a lawyer and likely lots of money.

IANAL, but I would think first you have to find the spammer (most spam these days comes through infected machines on other networks), prove he did what you say, and probably have to prove your losses due to this action.

Usually, these forgeries are over after a short time when they decide to use someone else. The most effective remedy is probably a short blurb on the top of a web page stating you know about the forged spam using your domain and that you are not involved. There is at least one FAQ entry here (Why am I getting all these bounces) that sums up the problem pretty well.

Unfortunately, you can't prevent someone from using your domain name in a spam message. As long as you're not doing anything wrong and not associated with the message, your host/ISP should understand that and disregard any spam complaints.

Archived