Nothing to do "Spam"

Feeks

I have been receiving spam and submitting this to SpamCop with responses from SpamCop that there is nothing to do.

The mail is coming from a legitimate mail server as a Final-Recipient: RFC822 error from the destination server for email that I have supposedly sent and is bouncing the RFC response back to me with 2 attachments, the first is the RFC822 details of the message and the second is an attachment of the supposed message that I have sent containing an attachment with the spammers content.

I have confirmed that I am not botting the messages from my environment.

My question is how do I get SpamCop to recognise and process this as spam?

Cheers

And the questions from this side of the screen .....

"How" are you submitting this spam?

What tools are you using?

I don't believe that I am submitting. What I think is happening is that my address is being spoofed as the source and the bounce is coming back to me. Although someone with a better understanding of the protocols will probably tell me that isn't possible!

The reason for my believe is that the "supposed" original destination from my address and the mx server for the spam as listed in the RFC details are non-existent

I don't believe that I am submitting.

????? In your first post you say I have been receiving spam and submitting this to SpamCop with responses from SpamCop that there is nothing to do.

Thus the questions I asked .... in order to answer the "nothing to do" issue.

What I think is happening is that my address is being spoofed as the source and the bounce is coming back to me. Although someone with a better understanding of the protocols will probably tell me that isn't possible!

Yes, this is all too well known .... your address has been forged into the From: or Reply-To: lines in the original spew .... The generally accepted term in these parts is "Misdirected Bounces" coming from those ISPs that choose to accept this bad e-mail and then generate a non-delivery message that ends up going to 'you' .... In the olden days, this was a a desired function, but it was based on trusting folks ... spammers have ruined this trust mode, so this "feature" is not now a desired mode ... unfortunately, not all ISPs have fogired this out yet ....

The reason for my believe is that the "supposed" original destination from my address and the mx server for the spam as listed in the RFC details are non-existent

This basically sounds like you're trying to 'dig' too deep .. Misdirected Bopunceds are reportable these days, but generally, this would normally only point the 'complaint' to the ISP that sent this alleged Bounce ....

But again, the 'problem' in your attempts to 'submit' these for Reporting still goies back to the questions not yet answered.

????? In your first post you say I have been receiving spam and submitting this to SpamCop with responses from SpamCop that there is nothing to do.

Thus the questions I asked .... in order to answer the "nothing to do" issue.

Yes, this is all too well known .... your address has been forged into the From: or Reply-To: lines in the original spew .... The generally accepted term in these parts is "Misdirected Bounces" coming from those ISPs that choose to accept this bad e-mail and then generate a non-delivery message that ends up going to 'you' .... In the olden days, this was a a desired function, but it was based on trusting folks ... spammers have ruined this trust mode, so this "feature" is not now a desired mode ... unfortunately, not all ISPs have fogired this out yet ....

This basically sounds like you're trying to 'dig' too deep .. Misdirected Bopunceds are reportable these days, but generally, this would normally only point the 'complaint' to the ISP that sent this alleged Bounce ....

But again, the 'problem' in your attempts to 'submit' these for Reporting still goies back to the questions not yet answered.

Ah now I see!

It would appear that submitting the bounce, which is what I am doing, is in fact not classified as spam. Duh logical I guess!

From the report offered back by SpamCop it doesn't appear to be reported!

Thank you for your assistance

Cheers

No, you don't understand. Misdirected bounces ARE considered spam and are reportable.

It depends on how you are submitting these to spamcop on why you are getting an error. You can submit by pasting on the web page. You can submit by emailing as an attachment. If you are using the email system, there are choices there (which I am not fully familiar with).

If this is the first time that you have submitted spam to spamcop, probably you are not submitting by forwarding as attachment. There are instructions in the FAQ for various email applications on how to do that.

Miss Betsy

• 3 months later...

It may be that SC declines to handle reports based on misdirected "anti-spam NDRs" (for the want of a better name) originating from legitimate abuse/postmaster sources or some subset of the same.

In the "nothing to do" case no report is retained in the member record so the evidence is absent but I am sure I had one such recently - my (spoofed) attglobal.net address on one hand, on the other the intended recipient's ISP anti-spam measures (sitting above the account) correctly IMO identified a message as spam, correctly identified a Chinese IP address as the source (no rDNS - "Unknown"), the "From:" then clearly fake but the evidence nevertheless ignored so a notification - with the original headers and a fragment of the body - was "bounced" to me with a lame excuse that "it's hard to tell, but sorry if not, you might be the source of the following UBE." (!!)

And I might have reported the idle bugger had SC allowed me to so do. Just anecdotal but I'm sure I'm not the only one seeing this from time to time and that may have been the OP's circumstance. In which case SC's extension of "professional courtesy" to the very people they should best be "educating" with a Louisville Slugger would be sadly misplaced. IMO

[Responsible entity was spam detection software, running on the system "mx1-clo.telesat.com.co"]

Archived