Error: Headers mangled

When I try to configure a second Mailhost, I always get the Error "headers mangled" when returning the account configuration mail. What can I do about it?

The header of the mail is:

Received: from [204.15.82.22] (helo=sc-app3.soma.ironport.com)

by mx04.web.de with smtp (WEB.DE 4.107 #114)

id 1GDKJx-0006ip-00

for s-ilg[at]web.de; Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:16:30 +0200

X-SpamCop-Conf: DTogjHfli24J6eWz

Received: from [193.27.220.82] by spamcop.net

with HTTP; Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:16:28 GMT

From: SpamCop robot <mhconf.DTogjHfli24J6eWz[at]cmds.spamcop.net>

To: s-ilg[at]web.de

Subject: [spamCop] account configuration email

Precedence: list

Message-ID: <wh44e30c9cg67d1[at]msgid.spamcop.net>

Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:16:28 GMT

X-Mailer: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

via http://www.spamcop.net/ v1.589

Sender: service[at]admin.spamcop.net

The error message reads:

In this sample, the problem was found near the line:

by mx04.web.de with smtp (WEB.DE 4.107 #114)

When I try to configure a second Mailhost, I always get the Error "headers mangled" when returning the account configuration mail. What can I do about it?

This gets old .. the e-mail in question I believe also contains a line about not posting some data, as it is 'confidential' i.e. ... you have exposed your account data here.

What can you do about it? ... How about "What have you done to try to sort it out?"

Read some of the Pinned items provided for your benefit.

Try the "paste it into a box" procedure.

Check the SpamCop FAQ for my aborted attempt at a MailHost Configuration Process Problems answer list.

Check Miss Betsy's attempt at a smoother version.

Read some of the previous discussions / solutions from folks that have been there and moved beyond.

To sit here and guess at what tools you're using, how your manipulations possibly screwed things up, how exactly the e-mail was received in a wrong fashion .. well that's pretty hard to do.

I'm getting really mad about this. I have not manipulated the mail from SpamCop!!! I tried to return it as I got it. And that spam mails can only be forwarded as attachments which isn't supported by my Mail-Provider, is another point which enrages me.

If you would offer more detailed descriptions of how SpamCop works an how it is to configure, then people wouldn't come to this forum and ask questions like these. Thought about that, guys?

If you want to fight spam, then make your system work and explain to people, how it works, or else it is worthless.

Not to get into the middle of yet another one of these arguments, but you seem to be missing the user-to-user part of this forum. Noone here is paid spamcop staff. We are all just doing our part to fight the spam, and offering what suggestions we can to help people that are having problems. If you want paid support, you can always use the support form on the spamcop website, however, you can usually get more information faster by posting here.

The problem is, if there is not enough information for us to make more than a semi-educated guess, then the quality of the answers we can provide is not going to be very good. We need more information to be of any help to you, and Wazoo was simply suggesting you look at some of the many past discussions of problems similar to yours to see if your problem has already been solved, and if it hasn't, you can get an idea what types of information will help us help you.

I'm getting really mad about this. I have not manipulated the mail from SpamCop!!! I tried to return it as I got it.

The only data provided was also posted in a bad format. No explanation yet of tools, methods, processes used to copy, paste, generate that data ... So go ahead and get mad ... that doesn't do a thing to help solve the issue.

And that spam mails can only be forwarded as attachments which isn't supported by my Mail-Provider, is another point which enrages me.

Based on your registration data 'here' ... that's one of the trafeoffs when using a "free e-mail accont" that also appears to be a web-based tool. On the other hand, there have been How to .... developed for other web-based e-mail tools. However, that takes someone with knowledge of the tool, the SpamCop parsing & reporting system, and the structure of an e-mail to begin with.

If you would offer more detailed descriptions of how SpamCop works an how it is to configure, then people wouldn't come to this forum and ask questions like these. Thought about that, guys?

If you want to fight spam, then make your system work and explain to people, how it works, or else it is worthless.

Can't do much than what has been attempted for several years now ... if you won't take the time to take a look at what's been documented thus far, point out where it's wrong or lacking in sufficient detail, or even write-up your own version so others can benefit, then there's not much else to say.

And that spam mails can only be forwarded as attachments which isn't supported by my Mail-Provider, is another point which enrages me.

Then get enraged at your Mail-Provider. Or forward the messages elsewhere.

Spamcop does state somewhere (it was there when I started) that spamcop is NOT for everyone and that some software can not be made to format messages properly for reporting.

Spamcop is a software tool. It starts with having certain input conditions. One of those coditions is a properly formatted RFC compliant message with full headers.

One of the reasons for the mailhost configuration is to determine if you CAN report spam successfully. It appears with this provider, you can not. Perhaps you can forward the message to your other working account and report through there.

Also, as stated here, request a new submit address as this one has likely been picked up by the spammers by now. Information on how to do that is also contained in the FAQ.

Archived