Spamcheck Aisle 1

Telarin

One of my customers mail servers has been bouncing on and off the SCBL. Could I get one of the paid reporters to do a quick lookup for me and see what kind of reports have been going out. The IP in question is 209.239.36.24. Hopefully I can give him enough information to go gripe to his host about their incompetence and get the thing fixed.

Looks like the owner of the IP is alabanza.com and they aren't interested in reports on it... This should be fun...

Submitted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 4:53:40 PM -0400:

hello

1894776433 ( 209.239.36.24 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com

1894776416 ( 209.239.36.24 ) To: abuse[at]alabanza.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Saturday, August 26, 2006 7:14:35 AM -0400:

Celebrities and Scientists agree, for once...

1892816532 ( 209.239.36.24 ) To: mole[at]devnull.spamcop.net

The IP in question is 209.239.36.24. Hopefully I can give him enough information to go gripe to his host about their incompetence and get the thing fixed.

Looks like the owner of the IP is alabanza.com and they aren't interested in reports on it...

I have a lot of past experience with Alabanza, first as a dedicated server customer, and then as a shared hosting customer of one of thier many hosts, and I don't think you're going to have much luck. While we were on Alabanza shared hosting, we were constantly getting blocked by AOL and others.

Your customer seems to be getting their hosting from "1host.com" which is in turn hosted by Alabanza. The problem is, on their dedicated servers, all of the outgoing email is sent using the single IP assigned to that particular server, so if any one of the hundreds of other clients on that box sends something bad out, mail from all the other clients is affected, in terms of blacklists, etc. Furthermore, their error bounces are done "after the fact" rather than during the incoming SMTP sessions, so those servers are prone to being listed due to UUBE.

Your customer won't be allowed to communicate with Alabanza at all, in that they are a "customer of a customer" so they'll have to report this to their direct upstream hosting company and hope for the best. My recommendation would be for them to find a host that enables them to use their assigned IP address (for their domain) to be used when sending emails, so that they don't get "tarred" by all the others sharing a common node IP.

DT

Yeah, I was actually somewhat surprised that no UUBEs showed up in the lot the Merlyn posted for me. I doubt if they'll change providers, but I was planning on making that recommendation. Just wanted to get as much information/evidence together as possible to help them make a decision.

Archived