Ideal reporting strategy

MrT

I've just rediscovered spamcop after finally finding a bit of time to do something about this awful nuisance spam without having to keep changing email addresses.

From my explorations to date in this wonderful forum and using the spamcop resources it appears that an IP address can be blacklisted after x number of spam reports plus spamtrap, and stays that way for several hours or until the owner fixes it and requests a delist.

Up to now, I've simply been reporting the spam that isn't already on spamcop or spamhaus blacklists. I'm thinking that this might not be the best strategy.

Could someone tell me if I should also be reporting spams that I receive that are already on the spamcop blacklist? I figure this is probably important to keep it on the blacklist, but I'm new to spamcop so am not quite sure...

I can easily change my filters to accommodate this - even though it means more spam getting delivered - ugh :(

MrT.

... Could someone tell me if I should also be reporting spams that I receive that are already on the spamcop blacklist? I figure this is probably important to keep it on the blacklist, but I'm new to spamcop so am not quite sure....
Hi MrT - if you come up with "fresh" spam from an IP already on the SCBL your report will indeed reset the "clock" to help keep them listed while the spam run is continuing. Report as much or as little as you are comfortable with but certainly it is useful to keep the listing going while the spamming behavior continues. Come to think of it, even if "your" spam is not so fresh, further reports should count towards the "statistics" which affect the reputation rating of the IP and perhaps support a more rapid response if the spam run restarts in the immediate future after delisting. Worth doing for the sake of the SCBL if you have the resources.

From my explorations to date in this wonderful forum and using the spamcop resources it appears that an IP address can be blacklisted after x number of spam reports plus spamtrap,

It's not "a number of reports" .... it's a bit of math, dealing with the ratio of spam/spew reported and the traffic "seen" from that IP address., with a couple of other factors involved ....The entry on the SpamCop FAQ 'here' is titled "What is on the list?"

and stays that way for several hours or until the owner fixes it and requests a delist.

Actually, if no other issues are involved, the opportunity is offered for that one-time delisting .... the 'warning' is there to point out that there is only the one chance to use it, thus the problem "should" be fixed prior to using that delisting option .... yet, there are a lot of folks that can't sort this out on their own ...

Up to now, I've simply been reporting the spam that isn't already on spamcop or spamhaus blacklists. I'm thinking that this might not be the best strategy.

Per the data in the FAQ, there's that bit of math involved .... no reports, the ratio of reported vice non-reported changes. The IP address that was listed could come off the list early .... the IP address that should be listed doesn't get recognized .... this may or may not impact you, depending on whether you're using the SpamCopDNSBL or not ...

Hi MrT - if you come up with "fresh" spam from an IP already on the SCBL your report will indeed reset the "clock" to help keep them listed ...

Thanks, Farelf, for the quick response and for confirming the conclusion I came to. To preserve some sanity I'll reduce the weighting of spamcop in my spam filter so that spam will pop into my junk mail folder unless it's already listed in spamhaus (in which case it gets deleted immediately and automatically).

I've already learnt to avoid reading the actual emails and go straight to raw text for reporting lol - but still hate getting so close to this tripe. Appreciate spamcop for acting as mediator so I don't have to deal directly with the nasty little men and women who send spam.

EDIT / ADD

From Wazoo: - It's not "a number of reports" .... it's a bit of math, dealing with the ratio of spam/spew reported and the traffic "seen" from that IP address.,

Thanks, Wazoo for the extra info - I'll do more reading and thanks for the links. I've still got a lot to learn but can hopefully learn quickly :D

Archived