Headers are missing "TO:" address

Kojote

I just started receiving some spam from 013barak.net.il domain. After examining the headers, I noticed the TO: address is missing. This is the first time I've seen that. How do they remove it and still send spam to me? I would think my ISP server would not allow it or not know who to send the message to.

...How do they remove it and still send spam to me? I would think my ISP server would not allow it or not know who to send the message to.
I guess there is a bcc with your address on it (which is properly withheld from the message delivered to you). A lesser probablity is that the security of your provider's server has been penetrated. Some providers (it is said) don't allow deliveries without a To: address (of some/any kind) and any self-respecting spammer would know that. I guess you got the other kind. There's some sort of specification in RFC's as to what should constitute the minimum proper message. Haven't time to research it offhand but clearly it ought to include a revealed addressee (you would think). You could suggest as much to your ISP. Who will probably tell you to set up your own filters (or ignore you if they don't provide the facility). I struck that once - I set my filter to forward the stuff (it was actually worse, no sender IP either) straight to him (my postmaster).

Archived