Image-only spam?

RidgwayJohn

I forwarded one of the frequent image-only spam/scam emails I get these days, and received an error message back from SpamCop, saying there was no content in the message. Well, that's true, there was no content aside from an image of a fake 'invoice' for Geek Squad services in the amount of $349.99. So, my question is, how am I supposed to report spam that only contains an image, with no other content?

Thanks!

Billing Status  !.jpg

Yes John forwarding spam as an attachment is the best way generally. However, for the few image-only spam, Login in to your reporting account, cut-and-past the spam with full header. Then scroll down past the first blank line, delete the body (and gjf/jpg causing the problem). Then add a line stating what you did "deleted image-only body".  Then submit the spam.

This approach is similar to the process for spam that is too big to process. In that case the body is truncated and  a line of text is added.

Remember parsing the body is the lowest priority, after processing the header to collect data about the IP for the SCBL, then sending spam reports to the ISP etc, THEN process the body.

Thanks again, @Lking; that's very helpful indeed. Of course, I'm trying to find the most pain-free (and least-effort) way to report spam. It drives me crazy that Google requires you to copy/paste several times to report to them, and they don't appear to have a way to share the image. I guess what you're telling me is that image is of no value, so I shouldn't worry about it.

2 hours ago, RidgwayJohn said:

Thanks again, @Lking; that's very helpful indeed. Of course, I'm trying to find the most pain-free (and least-effort) way to report spam. It drives me crazy that Google requires you to copy/paste several times to report to them, and they don't appear to have a way to share the image. I guess what you're telling me is that image is of no value, so I shouldn't worry about it.

Fust forward as attachment to Google with link in subject line?
As I use Gmail I just need to mark spam as phishing and the google link is shut down. as well as the account.

Spamcop just needs the text headers for spam report
Under the header hit enter 3 times then write "truncated"

example
This is a tracking url first link it was a very long spam that SpamCop would of truncated. after slowly spinning and clanking, work it out??
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6848167086z4fd3246162889f224c7b489230c6f6f0z  
Full report of what I sent after truncating images 
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6848167086z4fd3246162889f224c7b489230c6f6f0z;action=display  

Edited by petzl

5 hours ago, RidgwayJohn said:

What address would I forward that to?? I've not been able to find a reporting address (such as <abuse@gmail.com>) of any kind...

The image would be stored in Google cloud storage, 
as I use gmail I press phishing and the google account and 'user are removed along with cloud account, till spammer opens a new account.
If you could show me the google link address I would do a "Whois" search that will give you a abuse contact by email.
Have done so before but never kept it.

Or download this small free windows WhoIs app and get it yourself (better quicker option)
http://www.gena01.com/win32whois/ 
The registrar address of all URL's in email will give you the needed Registrar address,
SpamCop will only give the IP that it's presently linked to which is next to worthless
That is unless the IP address is where it's sent directly from.
Then it becomes the ISP's problem as that is then where the abuse is actually coming from,
they then can legally do something about if they choose.

Edited by petzl

14 hours ago, RidgwayJohn said:

What address would I forward that to?? I've not been able to find a reporting address (such as <abuse@gmail.com>) of any kind...

That is the correct address if you have a gmail account.

You can do a reverse image lookup on google.

If it is on google cloud they have an online form.

Geek squad works for best buy and they are both legit businesses being impersonated. If you report to best buy they recommend FTC report - online form.

If the IP starts with 10 it is a private address and cannot be blocked. IP starting 209.85 and US area code 844 numbers are probably scams.

Edited by ninth

On 6/4/2023 at 3:30 AM, RidgwayJohn said:

Finally got one image spam pushed Gmail phishing so just goes to Google page
https://storage.googleapis.com/f878b66c052755c/c8c1675c24c3892#cl/10193_md/3/524/1115/76/256021
Name:        storage.googleapis.com
IP:        172.217.24.48
Domain:    googleapis.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: abusecomplaints[AT]markmonitor[DOT]com

reported through SpamCop
TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6849678749za0d7afffb823a064c1d98157fa36540bz
https://ibb.co/DWrQ06r

2 hours ago, ninth said:

Report to fraudatupsdotcom

Thanks I'm in Australia not impossible but unlikely for me to get parcels from them.

On 5/31/2023 at 2:36 PM, RidgwayJohn said:

I'm trying to find the most pain-free (and least-effort) way to report spam. It drives me crazy that Google requires you to copy/paste several times to report to them, and they don't appear to have a way to share the image. 

In my (half-)vast experience, there are a couple of ways to share spam with GMail.

The simplest method is to forward it from GMail to your individual SpamCop account's spam forwarding address, wait for it to appear, and report it. I don't usually do this because it sometimes takes quite awhile for the spam to appear for reporting, and I'm not keen on waiting around.

The faster method is to use the GMail web interface and click on the "three vertical dots" menu to the top right of the message, choose "Show Original" and click the "Copy to clipboard" button. Then switch to spamcop.net and paste the raw message into the text box (assuming you're logged in) and click "Process spam." It can take a few seconds to process, but it's usually better than waiting around. If you can't wait around, it will show up as unreported spam next time you pull up the page.