Accidentally reported a good message as spam

Hi. I'm a new user to the spamcop email system. I have an email account, which has been great filtering email.

But, I went through my held mail folder too quickly, and reports a good message as spam. How does one correct such an error. I've tried searching for 'bad spam report' and some other words, but have not found anything.

thanks,

Ken Kaplan

In the past 5 years, I've mistakenly reported 3 or 4 legitimate emails out of about 37,000 spam reports; if my experience is any guide, very soon you'll get a note from support telling you they can terminate your account for doing what you did and locking you out of your mail account until they relent.

If you beg & plead to the support guys/gals, they'll eventually let you back in if you swear ON YOUR MOTHER'S GRAVE NEVER, EVER, to do it again and then leave your

both your left and right nuts

as ransom.

OTOH, spamcop webmail was down for me all evening tonight, from about 7PM when I got home to 2:30 AM; all I got on trying to login was a blank screen. They replied to my spamcop account ["Everything looks fine from here"], so of course I didn't see it [DUH!] until I thought of using a remote site [https://www.mail2web.com ] to access my inbox and read my mail.

The moral here: Don't just click "Check All", choose "Report Immediately and Trash" and hit "Release/Delete Selected messages" ***without actually looking at each and every email, and Previewing ones you aren't sure are spam.***

Tondelayo

Moderator Edit: profanity not much appreciated in here ....

In the past 5 years, I've mistakenly reported 3 or 4 legitimate emails out of about 37,000 spam reports; if my experience is any guide, very soon you'll get a note from support telling you they can terminate your account for doing what you did and locking you out of your mail account until they relent.

Certainly can't argue with your alleged experience, but .... your story is mixing two different companies, two different accounts ..... if you pay for a SpamCop.net e-mail account, that data and action is handled on JT's servers out in Georgia. That account comes with an associated Reporting account, of which data and action is handled on the IronPort systems, generally located in California.. As stated in the FAQs, you can lose the access to the Reporting account through screwing up, but that has no direct effect on your e-mail account.

OTOH, spamcop webmail was down for me all evening tonight, from about 7PM when I got home to 2:30 AM; all I got on trying to login was a blank screen. They replied to my spamcop account ["Everything looks fine from here"], so of course I didn't see it [DUH!] until I thought of using a remote site [https://www.mail2web.com ] to access my inbox and read my mail.

Can't back you up there either, other than the two hours of a multi-state outage from my ISP .....

The moral here: Don't just click "Check All", choose "Report Immediately and Trash" and hit "Release/Delete Selected messages" ***without actually looking at each and every email, and Previewing ones you aren't sure are spam.***

That's pretty much what the 'Agreement' says when Registering for a Reporting Account .. "you" are responsible for which reports go out and where they are targeted.

I have been reporting for about 4-5 years now (I forget, December of some year) and probably have mis-reported 6-10 times. I have gotten emails asking about it and once even argued that the message sent to me was completely unrelated to the list I had signed up for years before. Usually, I send them an email first because I notice it while reviewing the report (as you are supposed to) to makt sure the reports all went to the correct places.

Never have they touched my reporting account or even mentioned the email account (as Wazoo said, different people running that side of the shop).

Bottom line-it is YOUR responsibility where YOUR reports go.

Moderator Edit: profanity not much appreciated in here ....

If you can direct me to any source that indicates the words I used are considered as profanity, as opposed to common parlance and much less offensive than other words I could have used, I'll gladly give you $100. Please contact me backchannel if you can show me much such a source.

Please google or otherwise look up the definition of "profanity."

PC [Political Correctness] taken to fuddy-duddy extremes is ridiculous, as is a profound lack of a sense of humor.

All I can to the whole accusation of "profanity" is Nuts! ;)

Tondelayo

My apparent bad choice in word selection, yet the gist of it should be easily apparent and understood. This is an open forum, therefore having visitors of all ages, genders, backgrounds, standards, etc. etc. etc. Most obvious, not all readers would 'have' the body parts described for starters. Pick any other word that you believe will better fit, but the point remains, the words used were out of bounds. You will notice the minimal editing used.

<snip>

PC [Political Correctness] taken to fuddy-duddy extremes is ridiculous, as is a profound lack of a sense of humor.

<snip>

...Not at all! After I had a hearty laugh at what you wrote, I had the same reaction as did Wazoo. What you wrote was witty but not acceptable in a public forum. And I'm about as anti-PC as they come! :) <g>

Archived