not a routeable IP address

Getting the "not a routeable IP address" for a website, I tried loading it myself (probably not the best, I know) to see if had really been taken down. Somehow my browser can load it, but the SpamCop parser thinks it's not real.

I thought I'd seen something like this on the forum, so I searched for the phrase quoted above. However, the two results the search found didn't seem to be about getting this error on a web link in a spam. I've seen this error before, so maybe it's been discussed and I'm just bad at searching.

I haven't mentioned the website here because I don't want to send any traffic their way, but I'll provide the tracking URL. It's not the Facebook ones. I unchecked those because they don't even appear in the email. Hidden in the source somewhere I guess. It's the other link I think the spammer intended to be clicked on.

Should you decide to load it, I recommend disabling java scri_pt in your browser, as the site that loaded complained about that, which I assume means it would have ran some scri_pt if I had it enabled. The tracking URL is https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6890152416zed192f2331ec5aa17ec3e257614c9ae9z

Looking for input on either this error on a link (as in is there anything to do or has spammer simply beat the system), or past discussion of this error on the forum. Thanks!

As a flaky domain, there are several possibilities. At the time the parser looked the DNS tables were not configured correctly, or had not been fully distributed through the network. By the time you looked, and now, all DNS tables have been updated.

I guess I don't quite understand, as (after reading your reply) both the tracking URL and simply feeding the questionable link to the parser give me the error I started the thread with ("not routable..."). Are we getting different results from the parser, like maybe I have a bad setting somewhere? Thanks!

21 minutes ago, anyone8 said:

I guess I don't quite understand, as (after reading your reply) both the tracking URL and simply feeding the questionable link to the parser give me the error I started the thread with ("not routable..."). Are we getting different results from the parser, like maybe I have a bad setting somewhere? Thanks!

just means that the cache was refreshed
Tracking message source: 2603:10a6:20b:3ae:0:0:0:22:
Routing details for 2603:10a6:20b:3ae:0:0:0:22
[refresh/show] Cached whois for 2603:10a6:20b:3ae:0:0:0:22 : abuse@microsoft.com
Using best contacts sewr@senpluspluseop.onmicrosoft.com

5 minutes ago, petzl said:

just means that the cache was refreshed
Tracking message source: 2603:10a6:20b:3ae:0:0:0:22:
Routing details for 2603:10a6:20b:3ae:0:0:0:22
[refresh/show] Cached whois for 2603:10a6:20b:3ae:0:0:0:22 : abuse@microsoft.com
Using best contacts sewr@senpluspluseop.onmicrosoft.com

Yeah it tracks the source fine, and a couple Facebook links I didn't think I should report. But there's one it doesn't:

Tracking link: http://www.[removed].com/
No recent reports, no history available
Host www.[removed].com (checking ip) IP not found ; www.[removed].com discarded as fake.
www.[removed].com is not a routeable IP address
Cannot resolve http://www.[removed].com/

I [removed] the domain here so the forum wouldn't possibly link to them, but the full URL is in the tracking, at least when I run it.

1 hour ago, anyone8 said:

Yeah it tracks the source fine, and a couple Facebook links I didn't think I should report. But there's one it doesn't:

Tracking link: http://www.[removed].com/
No recent reports, no history available
Host www.[removed].com (checking ip) IP not found ; www.[removed].com discarded as fake.
www.[removed].com is not a routeable IP address
Cannot resolve http://www.[removed].com/

I [removed] the domain here so the forum wouldn't possibly link to them, but the full URL is in the tracking, at least when I run it.

Site appears to of already been removed can't be found
This site can’t be reached

Thanks petzl. Since it still loads here, and redirects me to a site that says "You need to enable java scri_pt to run this app." I guess maybe the DNS is cached somewhere in my home setup or ISP. That would be good if it's been taken down and just a matter of time for the DNS records to expire. Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding how this stuff works.

Suggest you get a browser app that blocks java maybe that is why my browser couldn't connect?
Java can be dangerous and load malware/virus
For Opera I use extension "java scri_pt Switch" with ON|OFF"
One time you could select "notify before allowing Java"?
SpamCop URL check would not have java either

15 hours ago, petzl said:

Suggest you get a browser app that blocks java maybe that is why my browser couldn't connect?
Java can be dangerous and load malware/virus
For Opera I use extension "java scri_pt Switch" with ON|OFF"
One time you could select "notify before allowing Java"?
SpamCop URL check would not have java either

Yes I have it disabled and then enable it for sites where I'm willing to do so. For example, it's enabled for forum.spamcop.net, but if I go to some site I've never been to before, it would be disabled unless/until I change the option for that site. Of course I wouldn't do that for the one this thread is about, even though it told me to.

anyone8, as per Lking mentioned some of these domains are flaky.

What I do is to keep the tracking URL and then go back to it a few minutes later to see if SpamCop would pick up the IP. Sometimes waiting and refreshing works for flaky domains.

19 hours ago, gnarlymarley said:

anyone8, as per Lking mentioned some of these domains are flaky.

What I do is to keep the tracking URL and then go back to it a few minutes later to see if SpamCop would pick up the IP. Sometimes waiting and refreshing works for flaky domains.

I had missed that he mentioned it being flaky. However, this one seems pretty consistent to me: Every time I've pulled up the tracking URL, SpamCop says it's not routable. However, every time I try to go to the site myself, it redirects me another page that complains about my java scri_pt being disabled. I tried both just before writing this, thinking by now any cached DNS probably expired. It's almost like they're tricking SpamCop somehow, but I don't know if that's possible in this scenario.