SpamCop rejects my spam submitions

vinther

Hi,

After using SpamCup for a couple of weeks my spam submisions are now bounced with the message:

"550 Error: We don't want your spam (1)"

Why is that?

For how long should i use SpamCup before i see a significant reduction in spam mails (havn't see any change so far)?

Thanks

Erik

Moved from "How to use" forums

...After using SpamCup for a couple of weeks my spam submisions are now bounced with the message:

Why is that?

For how long should i use SpamCup before i see a significant reduction in spam mails (havn't see any change so far)?...

Hi Erik,

That doesn't sound like any SpamCop message I've heard of. Can you post the full message, including headers? Did you finish off your reports after you submitted them? You emailed them, did you get confirmation emails back (and conclude the report process by authorising the sending of them)? I'm just thinking SC emails may be bouncing. That will get the reporting account suspended - but the message for that is quite different, last I knew (Why was my authorization revoked?).

Reporting is only half the process. To personally benefit from the SCBL, you have to use it, or be using a service provider who uses it (in that case you may never notice any particular change resulting from your own reporting). A SpamCop email account includes access but there are third party applications allowing account-level use - ref http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=44279 - in fact it is a good idea to wade through that whole (large) topic.

[Oh, I would't count on any reduction in spam under any circumstances if that is your real email address you are using as a member name (it will get "harvested"). Do you want that changed?]

After using SpamCup for a couple of weeks my spam submisions are now bounced with the message:

Why is that?

For how long should i use SpamCup before i see a significant reduction in spam mails (havn't see any change so far)?

I'm also a bit baffled .... this was posted into the Forum section located at;

SpamCop Discussion > Discussions & Observations > How to use .... > SpamCop Forum

Then there's the intentional (?) misspelling of the SpamCop.net name twice .... ?????

Hi Farelf,

I've installed the SpamCop (sorry about the previous misspelling) plug-in in my Outlook and whenever i get some spam I simply select the email(s) and hit the "SpamSource" button. After a short while i usually received a reply titled "[spamCop] has accepted 1 email for processing". However, in the last few days i have received a response message from the "Systemadministrator" titled "Can't deliver: <original subject of the spam email>". The content of the response is as the example shown below:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meddelelsen nåede ikke frem til nogle af eller alle de ønskede modtagere.

Emne: FW: It's Aron :)

Sendt: 09-11-2006 22:35

Der kunne ikke leveres til følgende modtager(e):

'<x>' den 09-11-2006 22:36

550 Error: We don't want your spam (1)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Translation:

The message did not reach some or all of the recipients.

Subject: FW: It's Aron :)

Sent: October 9, 2006 10:35 pm

The message could not be delivered to the following recipient(s):

'<x>' den 09-11-2006 22:36

550 Error: We don't want your spam (1)

It is as if the SpamCop itself has been blacklisted by my ISP's mailserver (TDC - Danish Telecom).

Thanks

Erik

[Moderator edit - submit address munged to <x>. Sorry Erik, I did say to post the whole message, neglected to say you shouldn't expose your submit address in public. Please email service[at]admin.spamcop.net and confirm you need a new submit address, using or quoting your registered email address and your submit address.]

get2net.dk' post='50654' date='Nov 11 2006, 03:19 AM']

That's not something SpamCop is generating. We *do* want your spam, and our system doesn't bounce email to 'submit' addresses. We might return an error message after we accept your spam and look at it, but not a bounce.

Take a close look at the entire error message. Who sent it to you? What else does the message say? Are there other details that you haven't shared with us? Most delivery failure notices are pretty straightforward. They might look like gibberish, but they usually tell you what happened and where.

Joining SpamCop is joining the army in the fight against spam. As in any army, as a soldier, you fight and fight and never see any benefit.

It's highly unlikely that you will see a reduction in spam as the result of using our service. By the time you found us, your address was already being passed around on the "Millions of Addresses" CDs the spammers sell each other. The level of spam will likely get worse from here on out.

The fight against spam is a long term battle. We get tons of open proxies, open relays, and exploited servers shut down, and we put a lot of spammers out of business, especially novices, but it's very difficult to stop the specific spammers sending *you* the spam.

Your reports make a difference! They are added to our blocking list database, which is being used by more and more ISPs around the world.

We feel like there is hope because of the effect the blocking lists are having. We're driving the professional spammers into ever smaller corners of the Internet where they're easier to block. Service providers around the world are starting to pay a lot more attention to plugging the holes in their systems. Unfortunately, the serious spam networks don't care much about being blocked because they still get their spam to enough gullible people to keep it profitable.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Moderator edit: Don's reply has been embeded into a new Wiki Page DoesSpamCopWork

Thanks for your contribution, we have appreciated your recent informative and helpful posts.

[...]I simply select the email(s) and hit the "SpamSource" button. After a short while i usually received a reply titled "[spamCop] has accepted 1 email for processing". [...]

Just a check. Did you visit the spamcop.net site and actually submit the spam you sent ?

(pressing the 'submit' button for each).

Your sending the spam for processing is only half the job.

Thanks

Just a check. Did you visit the spamcop.net site and actually submit the spam you sent ?

(pressing the 'submit' button for each).

Your sending the spam for processing is only half the job.

Thanks for pointing this out to me. I only sent the emails to spamcop, but forgot to submit on the website.

Anyway, my ISP must have blacklisted SpamCop as all emails sent to you are not delivered, but returned to me (with the message "We do not want your spam"). This puts an effective stop my part of the spam war in the Spamcop coalition. :(

Thanks

Erik

Anyway, my ISP must have blacklisted SpamCop as all emails sent to you are not delivered, but returned to me (with the message "We do not want your spam"). This puts an effective stop my part of the spam war in the Spamcop coalition. :(
Bad news Erik - if they won't (or can't) change they should be added to the list Wazoo pointed to E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP?. Can you confirm that is the situation (noting the tests proposed in the linked topic and, ideally, confirming with them they will not change) and the ISP's detail (Tele2 Sverige AB / SWIPNET?).

You can always post spam in through the submission box on your member's page (and submit following the parse). That is only practicable for a limited volume but you can select the ones which cause you the most problems.

Bad news Erik - if they won't (or can't) change they should be added to the list Wazoo pointed to E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP?. Can you confirm that is the situation (noting the tests proposed in the linked topic and, ideally, confirming with them they will not change) and the ISP's detail (Tele2 Sverige AB / SWIPNET?).

You can always post spam in through the submission box on your member's page (and submit following the parse). That is only practicable for a limited volume but you can select the ones which cause you the most problems.

My ISP is not listed on the list Wazoo was pointing to, but please do not add them on my request, as they'll properly sue me for a zillion dollars.

It is true i use Tele2 for hosting my inbox (for historic reasons), but i use TDC Denmark for sending emails (my ADSL connection provider).

The problem seems to be when i select and submit numerous emails at a time, so i can work around the problem submitting just one at a time.

Thanks

Erik

My ISP is not listed on the list Wazoo was pointing to, but please do not add them on my request, as they'll properly sue me for a zillion dollars.
As you wish Erik. They would have no cause to sue - "their server, their rules", that is understood. I am glad you have a way to continue but it is limiting. I suspect my own ISP blocks some of my submissions (without notice) - when the first attachment has not been identified and "branded" as spam by the anti-spam filters. But I don't have the evidence (the "normal" glitches and losses in the network service complicates observation) and they are unlikely to confirm or deny this is how it works even if I had what I thought was evidence.

ISP filtering is the big unknown - at least yours is telling you what they are doing and why (even if they are mistaken).

Archived