The meaning of notes in a report

lwc

Each report has "global" notes and per address' ones. But when I click on past reports, I can never see those notes.

How does the abuse departments see those notes? In the complaint message's subject? In the body right before the actual complaint? Or what?

The notes to which I call "global", am I right about this term? Do everyone see them?

And last but not least, why can't I ever see those notes myself again after sending the complaint?

I can't answer your questions as I have only used the individual notes field at the bottom of the reporting screen which follows each report that can be sent, but the following additional information may help someone else.

Are you doing full reporting or quick reporting?

If full reporting have you ever clicked on the "Preview Reports" button, that shows you exactly what is going to be sent and to who.

In doing some testing, I noticed that that past reports only save a copy of the original spam message, the following is a copy of what the preview reports shows but is not included in the saved copy of past reports for a sample spam I did report.

(Recipient:email address where report will be sent)

Received: from [The IP address used by you to submit the spam message to SpamCop] by spamcop.net

with HTTP; Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:29:43 GMT

From: "Your reporting name as setup in your preferences" <preview[at]reports.spamcop.net>

To: abuse[at]etb.net.co

Subject: [spamCop (201.244.163.136) id:preview]decennial in outward

Precedence: list

Message-ID: <rid_preview[at]msgid.spamcop.net>

Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 03:02:51 -0500

X-SpamCop-sourceip: 201.244.163.136

X-Mailer: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 4.0)

via http://www.spamcop.net/ v1.603

[ SpamCop V1.603 ]

This message is brief for your comfort. Please use links below for details.

Email from 201.244.163.136 / Sat, 18 Nov 2006 03:02:51 -0500

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?i=zpreviewz14ad...d4f3d0b8555992z

201.244.163.136 is open proxy, see: http://www.spamcop.net/mky-proxies.html

[ Additional comments from recipient ]

> The complete copy of the notes you entered in the box labeled "Additional notes (optional - max 2000 characters):"

[ Offending message ]

The red line is the first line that appears in the past report view followed by a copy of the original spam message itself (color added by me for reference. purple indicates copy I altered for display or explaination purposes

I decided not to munge the rest of the header information so that better comparison could be made. The trackURL is included in the quoted message.

It should also be noted that clicking on you "back" button

SpamCop - your complaint has not been sent.

CLICK YOUR BROWSER'S BACK BUTTON TO SEND REPORTS!

seems to delete the notes you originally entered This was tested by clicking or "Preview Reports" a second time before cancelling the reports as it was the second time I had summitted the same spam for reporting.

In doing some testing, I noticed that that past reports only save a copy of the original spam message.

That's exactly the problem...

It should also be noted that clicking on you "back" button seems to delete the notes you originally entered.

I noticed it too and that's why I don't use it...

Thanks for the investigation. Now it's just left to confirm if "global" notes are really just that.

Also, what's "decennial in outward"? Is that your specific original spam's subject?

So that's how the (final) report's subject looks like: "Subject: [spamCop (spammer's system's IP)]*original spam's subject*"?

Also, what's "decennial in outward"?
You will have to ask the spammer that question. It is the exact, unmodified subject line of the original message. Anything that I altered is color coded. All else is either exactly the way the spammer sent it (as received by me) or as SpamCop added to or modified during parsing.

I just wanted to confirm it's the original subject.

Anyway, I checked it out and the "global" notes are really that. They're written under the individual notes (if such exist) and are called "additional notes".

Just too bad the preview isn't in another window and that your notes aren't saved after sending.

Just too bad the preview isn't in another window and that your notes aren't saved after sending.
Two ways that you can confirm what is being sent are:

1) Include your email address in the "Re: User Notification (Notes)" field

2) Write and copy your notes, then click on "File" in your browser menu bar and select "New - Window" The notes field will be blank so you will need to paste them back in and then click on preview. When finished, simple close that browser window and go back to the original window and send the reports.

Clicking on the Back Button will delete the notes as well as the additional user notification entry (if used)

Note: be careful not to double click (click twice) on the submit button as it will send the reports twice

I accidentially did that and when viewing past reports noticed:

Submitted: Sunday, November 19, 2006 3:31:33 AM -0800:

In unpleasant overtime

2025216112 ( z_User_Notification ) To: myearthlinkaddress

2025216110 ( z_User_Notification ) To: myearthlinkaddress

2025216105 ( 81.192.167.46 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com

2025216104 ( 81.192.167.46 ) To: spamcop[at]imaphost.com

2025216088 ( 81.192.167.46 ) To: elasri[at]menara.ma

2025216071 ( 81.192.167.46 ) To: elasri[at]menara.ma

Note: messages sent to my earthlink address got caught in the Earthlink Known spam Filters.

I just wanted to confirm it's the original subject.

[ SpamCop V1.603 ]
This message is brief for your comfort.  Please use links below for details.

User-targeted report, see notes, if any.
http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?i=z2025584621zxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[ Comments from recipient regarding z_User_Notification ]
&gt; &gt; This is the "User Notification

[ Additional comments from recipient ]
&gt; &gt; This is a general Note
[ Offending message ]

Added myself as a recipient and got the above message (followed by the original spam)

My added comments were

>> This is the "User Notification

and

>> This is a general Note

The first note was sent to z_User_Notification (me) only. (Assume this is true because the note sent to SpamCop only did not come to me).

Archived