charset=UTF-8 causing a few issues (Updated Dec 21 2006

Wazoo

New server, new software, new configurations, new issues ...

Depending on numerous things, not all of them at this end <g> it has been seen/noted that there are some little gremlins running around loose, playing games with some of the text seen here, there, everywhere ... We (the Moderating team) are still wandering around oursleves a bit, not sure how to totally tackle this issue ... thus far, it's been a fix-it-when-found page-by-page thing. However, it's obvious that we won't find all the problems ourselves, no matter how much time we spend looking (and that time thing is yet a while 'nother issue) ...

So, I figure the best (easiest) way to approach it is to make the issue known, ask for input, if/when it's needed. What we're seeing is characters changing shapes <g> .. sometimes in the strangest places ... The issue basically seems to be the inclusion of a 'new' setting of charset=UTF-8 on this new server. Why it seems to be making its appearance known in such a random fashion is something I have yet to figure out ...

One method would be to simply make a post in the Topic, which will bring that Topic back to the top of the list .. the other would be to PM one of the Moderators with the link to the post in question .... issue there being is that at times, it's hard to keep up with all that traffic, InBoxes get filled, etc .... making an appropriate post would be much more appreciated ...

Examples of what's happening; (note: actual results are also dependent on "your" computer/font selections/availability)

«« « 1 2 3 » »»

being changed to read;

?? ? 1 2 3 ? ??

-=-=-=-=-

Recursos anti-spam en español

Campaña anti-spam de El Espectador (Uruguay)

Información básica acerca del 'spam'

being changed to read;

Recursos anti-spam en espa񯬼/b>

Campañ¡ ¡nti-spam de El Espectador (Uruguay)

Informació® ¢á³©ca acerca del 'spam'

-=-=-=-=-

These include '.com' for commercial, '.org' for organization, '.edu' for educational,

being changed to read;

These include ?.com? for commercial, '.org' for organization, ?.edu? for educational,

-=-=-=-=-

• 3 weeks later...

See Character-set issues for a bit of specific dialog on the issue at this Forum.

IPS has released version 2.2.0 of this application, but nothing noted about this issue in the release notes (and, actually, I think I saw this first while working on the Wiki .... then 'we' saw it while playing with one of the Betas or Release Candidates first ... then it showed up in this running Forum app ...???)

I have since found several other applications that are causing other folks to be running into the same issues, asking the same questions, so 'we' are not alone ... but the solution is not readily available at present .. so just making sure that it is at least described .....

• 2 weeks later...

hmmmmm ... one of the main programmers at IPS posted a "bug report" himself yesterday at

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...mp;bug_cat_id=1

Maybe now there will be a resolution forthcoming... that is how it is here. Plenty of people can complain about something, but once management experiences the problem, money/time/etc. become available to address it.

From some PM traffic;

Did you notice my quote of sergeant's query in http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=52540

shows the "strange characters" thing (for the dashes "-"). What's more they're different (still strange) in edit view and read view. Bloody headache.

and if I said .... when I first read it, there was no problem ...????

However, looking at it now, I see the "added" section ... which would fit into the 'fire up the editor and things blow up' scenario that got me started on this ...???

I am having to admit that I simply haven't found "the" answer as to just what change is needed to 'fix' this, as I keep running into all the pieces thayt seem to feed into it .... PHP in one place, MySQL in another, browser functions in another, on and on ... the 'easy' answer seems to be to go through and remove all references to utf-8 (server, applications, functions, etc.) primarily based on the fact that the old server/applications didn't have the built-in support for this, and the problem didn't exist .... but this also doesn't seem to be the 'right' way to handle it.

BTW: added this to the Bug Report at http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?...g_title_id=4281

Archived