Did something change?

Gobo

did something change in the configuration of how spamcop reports? I have been using spamcop for several years and haven't had a problem until today, my mail provider sent me this:

Hi. I have received three reports from spamcop today for mail sent to you.

Unfortunately Spamcop is dinging us because our spam appliance is the last

"relay" in the line before this mail hits <Mail Server>.

Please do not use spamcop to report this spam as it is wrongly targeting

calarts as the "source" of the spam.

I'm asking the admin at my mail provider if anything changed there, but is there any other explanation for this?

Thanks.

Hi, Gobo!

...Sorry to hear of your problem.

<snip>

my mail provider sent me this:

Hi. I have received three reports from spamcop today for mail sent to you.

Unfortunately Spamcop is dinging us because our spam appliance is the last

"relay" in the line before this mail hits <Mail Server>.

Please do not use spamcop to report this spam as it is wrongly targeting

calarts as the "source" of the spam.

<snip>
...If you are reporting your own provider, here is some information for your provider that may help explain why and give them guidance as to how they may be able to correct the problem from their end: Why does SpamCop want to send a report to my own network administrator?

...Please remember that when you signed up for SpamCop reporting service, you agreed to certain terms and conditions. Among these was:

SpamCop will send email on your behalf to the appropriate network administrator. Before using SpamCop, please read the following - you are responsible!

<snip>

4. I take full responsibility and assume all liability for email I send using SpamCop.

<snip>

You probably need to set up Mailhosts. It sounds as though spamcop is stopping at your ISP's 'spam appliance' and you are reporting your ISP.

Miss Betsy

...The Mailhosts configuration utility can be found by logging into your account at http://www.spamcop.net/ and navigating to the link labeled Mailhosts.

...Good luck!

I'm asking the admin at my mail provider if anything changed there, but is there any other explanation for this?

It is quite possible that something has changed and is suddenly upsetting your reports.

Others have pointed to the Mailhosts configuration. You certainly need to set this up but it may well be that you previously set it up and more recently the routes used to reach your mail servers have changed. (Happened to me when we physically moved our server - kept the same IP but suddenly we were working through different machines en route.)

If you have got a mailhost set for your mail server then I suggest you remove it and then start again to pick up any new routings.

After that, handle your reports manually watching very carefully to check that you aren't reporting your own ISP.

Andrew

Thanks everyone, I updated my mailhosts and hopefully that will work.

that staement seems a but strange, expecially after all the preceding dialog.

you update your configuration data .. great

you didn't process a submittal and check the results? .. not good at all

Yes, I am aware, and am not trying to pass blame around.

<snip>

Hi, Gobo,

...I'm sorry, what I posted did seem to be about attaching blame but I assure you that was not what I intended. I was only trying to point out that it is important to review the list of abuse addresses to which SpamCop is offering to send reports before you click the "Send" button.

...As Wazoo implied in his last post, please do let us know your experience the next couple of times you parse spam. Thanks! :) <g>

Archived