Slow Web Interface Processing

navybuff

The web interface for reporting is almost unusable. Average 40 to 50 seconds per spam. This time is increased if a User Notification is used. Numerous Sigalarms over the past few days. I noticed it about a week ago. There are times that is appears normal but they are few and far between. It appears that it is not related to traffic or system load because I have had the same problems in the middle of the night (2am PST).

comments?

See this Thread: Slowness

above and beyond the already posted 'official' posting (yet to be followed up on)????

Newsgroups: spamcop.help

Subject: SpamCop Not Down

Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:12:14 -0700

Message-ID: <9sern2tjqcd0d0uiqs7al3iinmhro1ag5m[at]4ax.com>

Just letting you know that spikes in spam flow are causing occasional

odd responses from SpamCop. The load is *very* heavy.

We're on it. Just keep trying.

As always, when you experience a SpamCop failure, the immediate action

drill is to shut down your browser and go lie on the couch.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Still getting the following after submitting the report via website ...

"got sigalarm, taking too long to process, aborted.

Perhaps you can wait a few minutes and reload?"

Since the list of abuse email addresses was shown, did the emails to them get sent, or do I need to actually re-do the report?

I am seeing this set of errors more often than not, and at times that I would not expect to be peak times, but maybe these days, there ARE no peak times?

I manually enter spam emails at the spamcop.net/sc website using the text box labeled: "Paste entire spam (headers, blank line, body) - or - single address (one line only):". I always have the "Show technical details" box checked.

It is taking a long time to process the email (after clicking the "Process spam" button), and then if it does it successfully, it may take a long time again, when clicking the "Send spam Report(s) Now" button. Sometimes the response is completely acceptable (a few to 10 or 15 sec).

If the server is slow, I am likely to an error such as:

"Gateway Timeout

The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.

Reference #1.58ed23f.1166... "

"An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #97.636b9d40.11665 ....."

"got sigalarm, taking too long to process, aborted.

Perhaps you can wait a few minutes and reload?"

After these messages, there is usually the "Unreported spam Saved: Report Now" and "Remove all unreported spam" links. I have been removing all, before manually entering the next email.

Hopefully, someone is trying to address these issues?

[Moderator edit: originally posted as a separate article, merged here; user remay notified by PM with cc to SpamCop Forum Moderators and Admin]

Have you looked in the announcements section of this forum?

Yes, and I only see the following announcements:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showforum=3

Announcement: Important SpamCop Forum Announcements

Announcement: Please make sure that you have reviewed the Pinned Announcements

Announcement: [How-to] Post a Question (and prevent stupid/rude answers)

I had NOT checked the "Forum Topics" section of "Annoucements". I had only checked "Announcements" and "Important Topics". I now see the post.

I guess I wasn't expecting a system-wide notice to be listed there...

<snip>

I had NOT checked the "Forum Topics" section of "Annoucements". I had only checked "Announcements" and "Important Topics". I now see the post.

I guess I wasn't expecting a system-wide notice to be listed there...

...Hopefully, my edit of Latest and Current Announcements will help -- I moved the message "Please make sure that you have reviewed the Pinned Announcements" (which points to "Pinned Announcements" which points to the Announcements in question) so that it is now closer to the top....

You want to bitch at someone, here's your target.

I noted the rollout of a new version of the parser ... I made a note of that.

Some complaints atarted showing up about "not resolving embedded URLs" .. well, nothing really new there, other than it sure seemed like a lot of folks complaining in a short timeframe.

The Parsing & Reporting server/system started having issues, people started complaining about other problems ... long turn-around times for e-mailed submittals .. later expanding into Heldmail folder complaints .. then even the web-form submittals ...

I'm still sitting here wondering how much of this comes from the 'new' parser, hw much from something else ..

Parsing & Reporting system goes down hard ....

A couple of hours later, Ellen makes a newsgroup post about 'networking' issues ....

A while after that, I see it, make a copy of that newsgroup post here in the Forum.

Deputies aren't talking to me, I don't get to talk to any of the IronPort staff, I've got a hundred other things going on right here in my house, I'm sholders deep in working with code with several applications on this server ... so all I can say .. excuse me for making the easy assumption that the problem would be fixed in a relatively short time.

My thoughts were that the announcment would address the issue for those that couldn't figure out all the white space in the provided graphic. Silly me for not knowing in advance that whatever the problem ends up being would end up taking a small bit of forever to actually fix.

That said, let me also point out yet another item you probably haven'y spent the time looking at .. the Forum FAQ .. Section 8 in particular .. you'll note that those that just might be in the know rarely post here. The rest of us are simply other users.

Archived