[Resolved] Side Discussion of "64.34.165.154 blocked"

turetzsr

Moderator's note: this forum thread was split off from forum thread "64.34.165.154 blocked", as it is somewhat off-topic.

will see that Don was actually replying to fender's linear post #9:...Don, please correct me if I am incorrect.
You are incorrect.

- Don -

...Thanks, Don. In that case, a follow-up question: did you click the "Reply" button just below fender's post at linear post # 9 (52756[/snapback])? If not, there would seem to be a bug in the Forum software. If you did, you made it appear that you were replying to fender rather than to Miss Betsy -- please use the "Reply" button immediately below the post to which you wish to reply so as not to confuse anyone/me. Thanks!

did you click the "Reply" button just below fender's post at linear post # 9
No.

If not, there would seem to be a bug in the Forum software. If you did, you made it appear that you were replying to fender rather than to Miss Betsy
I'm pretty sure the forum software is working just fine.

I posted two replies in this thread. The first reply was my linear post #6 in response to Fender's linear post #1. The second reply was my linear post #14 in response to your linear post #13. I didn't reply to any other posts in the thread.

please use the "Reply" button immediately below the post to which you wish to reply
Not to worry, that's what I do.

- Don -

...Thanks for replying, Don.

<snip>

I'm pretty sure the forum software is working just fine.

I posted two replies in this thread. The first reply was my linear post #6 in response to Fender's linear post #1. The second reply was my linear post #14 in response to your linear post #13. I didn't reply to any other posts in the thread.

<snip>

...Then things are really odd, because I see three posts from you (prior to the one to which I'm replying):
  • linear post #6, which is a reply to fender's linear post #1
  • linear post #11, which is the one that looks to me from "Outline View" to be in reply to fender's linear post #9
  • linear post #14, the reply to my linear post #13

Are you saying that you did not post linear post #11 (the one to which Miss Betsy replied)? :huh: <confused>

Are you saying that you did not post linear post #11
It looks like assumptions are running rampant.

I said that I only posted two replies, and I cited them for the record, which means that my linear post #11 is not a reply to a post in the thread.

Don't forget that there is an "Addreply" button at the top of the forum page that allows the user to insert a comment into the thread without replying to a particular post. It has its uses.

- Don -

I'm seeing posts 2, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12 & 13 as direct responses to post 1 in that topic/thread. Have you discovered a browser issue Steve?

I suppose it's possible that my linear post #11 is actually a reply to a post and I deleted the quote info before I submitted it, but I don't remember it that way.

There is no way for me to tell what actually transpired, and since it happened over eight hours ago, it's ancient history in my memory.

- Don -

I suppose it's possible that my linear post #11 is actually a reply to a post and I deleted the quote info before I submitted it, but I don't remember it that way.
No, I think you were right in your previous explanation - it seems to be a feature of the topic structure that all posts are threaded (though however many levels) to the initial post (with my browsers anyway). So replying with the t_reply.gif button shows as a response to the initial post but without quoting from it. The p_quote.gif button pulls in the quote from the selected post.

It is possible that other browsers see some things differently, which would be good to know about.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the forum software. Don would reply directly to the OP, IMHO. In this case, he obviously wanted the OP to know that the OP's assumptions were correct. I didn't think that he was replying to my post at all. Like the other sensitive posters it was how he said it, that upset me. I am sure that he didn't mean it.

Miss Betsy

Ancient stuff, last diddled with with any diligence way back when Sorting out pointers and tracking

Specific details on this situation ....

Linear post #11

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=52765

(the "Reply button used)

SELECT pid,author_name,topic_id,post_parent FROM ipb_posts where pid='52765'

pid author_name topic_id post_parent

52765 SpamCopAdmin 7717 52756 (which is Linear Post #9 - fender's post)

SELECT pid,author_name,topic_id,post_parent FROM ipb_posts where pid='52756'

52756 fender 7717 52752

Miss Betsy's post, Linear #10

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=52763

Using Forum Default settings

Standard Display - interspersed by timestamp of post

Linear+ Display - interspersed by timestamp of post

Outline Display - shows the results of use of the different buttons to make the posts/replies

For example, the Linear Post #6

SELECT pid,author_name,topic_id,post_parent,new_topic FROM ipb_posts where pid='52745'

pid author_name topic_id post_parent new_topic

52745 SpamCopAdmin 7717 52713 0

(the Add Reply button used)

And pid 52713 is the Topic starter ....

SELECT pid,author_name,topic_id,post_parent,new_topic FROM ipb_posts where pid='52713'

pid author_name topic_id post_parent new_topic

52713 fender 7717 0 1

<snip>

Specific details on this situation ....

Linear post #11

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=52765

(the "Reply button used)

SELECT pid,author_name,topic_id,post_parent FROM ipb_posts where pid='52765'

52765 SpamCopAdmin 7717 52756 (which is Linear Post #9 - fender's post)

<snip>

...Does this support what I am seeing in Outline View, that Don's linear post #11 appears (in the SpamCop Forum database) to be a reply to fender's linear post #9?

...Does this support what I am seeing in Outline View, that Don's linear post #11 appears (in the SpamCop Forum database) to be a reply to fender's linear post #9?

exactly ..... and that Don's Linear Post #6 shows up 'after' that part of the discussion, as this was from the 'Add Reply' option ... which tied it to the Topic starting post .....

exactly ..... and that Don's Linear Post #6 shows up 'after' that part of the discussion, as this was from the 'Add Reply' option ... which tied it to the Topic starting post .....
...Thanks! Now I understand the confusion. I'll just chalk it up to:

There is no way for me to tell what actually transpired, and since it happened over eight hours ago, it's ancient history in my memory.

- Don -

We'll just leave it at that and call this discussion over (at least as far as I'm concerned).

...Thanks, all!

...We'll just leave it at that and call this discussion over (at least as far as I'm concerned)...Thanks, all!
Likewise, thanks to all - a little illumination of the greater dark. Enquiring mind needs its teddybear right now.

Archived