[Rant] - Yahoo E-mail

drjohn

Activated my mail account 5 days ago, and got my first spam today. Before the [at] sign, 3 words as one.

Sent e-mail to 7 Craigslist sellers. Nothing else. Not entered into any websites, not even Yahoo's profiles.

So either dictionary attacks include random strings of words put together as opposed to just single words, Craigslist has poor anonymous remailer security, or one of these people has a spammer trojan that captured my address. I doubt one of the 7 people I e-mailed was a spammer or intentional supporter.

The account will be closed in a couple of days. I already gave everyone an alternate contact method.

So either dictionary attacks include random strings of words put together as opposed to just single words, Craigslist has poor anonymous remailer security, or one of these people has a spammer trojan that captured my address.

I think the last one is the most likely.

DT

Yahoo has absolutely some of the worst spam filters I've ever seen.

<snip>

...My experience is quite different -- Yahoo delivers lots of spam, almost all of it to my Bulk folder. There are few false negatives or false positives.

...My experience is quite different -- Yahoo delivers lots of spam, almost all of it to my Bulk folder. There are few false negatives or false positives.

Just got spam #2 in less than a week of having the address. Both were in the bulk folder.

Archived