Replace "*" with "."

karlisma

[Moved from SpamCop Discussion > Discussions & Observations > How to use .... Instructions, Tutorials > SpamCop Reporting, karlisma PMd, redirector left for 24 hrs then deleted.]

Comment seen in newsgroups too, about the tendency just lately(?) to mangle URLs this way, apparently to evade parsing. I would not think it likely that the parser would be changed for this (programmers would end up doing nothing more than chasing their tails if they reacted to each spammer "ploy") but who knows? The proposition has been put.

• 5 weeks later...

[Moved from SpamCop Discussion > Discussions & Observations > How to use .... Instructions, Tutorials > SpamCop Reporting, karlisma PMd, redirector left for 24 hrs then deleted.]

Comment seen in newsgroups too, about the tendency just lately(?) to mangle URLs this way, apparently to evade parsing. I would not think it likely that the parser would be changed for this (programmers would end up doing nothing more than chasing their tails if they reacted to each spammer "ploy") but who knows? The proposition has been put.

It's not worth it to modify the SW parser. You can do them manually if you choose in a second tab/window.

Usually this kind of mangling goes away quickly because most recipients of the spam don't bother or don't know how to unmangle the broken URL. They probably click on the mangled link, get nowhere and give up. Even the most hardened spam lover doesn't want to do any work to get to a drug site - the next spam will probably not require unmangling. People who actually read spam to buy product are not the brightest bulbs on the tree.

For spammy, it's a self-defeating technique.

In fact, there were a slew of them a few weeks ago and now I only find one a day, at most.

Archived