How common are responses from spammers?

diabase

I always use spamcop mudged reports to report spam I receive. Today a received a rather weird response. The response was:

To: [my email address]

Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 3:09 AM

Subject: anti-spammers are lamers

subj

regards, spammer

While this response was simple, well mannered, and somewhat comical, it was a direct flippant and unwelcome response to a spam I reported through spamcop, so I promptly reported this sinister response and it was assigned report tracking id is: 2210899132. I understand that some spammers have the capability to defeat spamcop mudging but in all the years of reporting using spamcop, this is the first time I've ever received any response such as this. In the past the only responses that I have receive were apologetic ones from the ISP's directly through spamcop, or sudden flood of similar spam from spammers. I am wondering whether this sort of dismissive response is becoming commonplace.

I found it: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8063

I did a quick search for a similar case before posting my inquiry, but I missed that one.

I've been using spamcop for 2 weeks; today I received exactly the same response from, presumably the same source. I am concerned I will be hammered with even more junk for having the temerity to report spammers. I was tempted to reply, but chickened out.

There was another similar topic reported today. I'm beginning to wonder if this was a targeted email, or if it is going out randomly to a spammers entire spam list.

Maybe spammer back chatter to one another and they accidentally CC'd/BCC'd the reporter. I'm sure there are probably some bizarro pro-spammer mailing lists or forums where they talk to each other about how to send more spam and different techniques: the SpamCop's antagonists :P

Maybe spammer back chatter to one another and they accidentally CC'd/BCC'd the reporter. I'm sure there are probably some bizarro pro-spammer mailing lists or forums where they talk to each other about how to send more spam and different techniques: the SpamCop's antagonists :P

I am tempted to merge the 2 topics, but I am not sure either subject is better to attract the attention of a newcomer.

There was another similar topic reported today. I'm beginning to wonder if this was a targeted email, or if it is going out randomly to a spammers entire spam list.
The difference with Yesterday I couldn't spell "s-p-a-m-u-r" and today I are one... is that it appears to be a bombing run, "several hundred of the following spams". Could be anything, intimidation perhaps. The defence against botnets is offence - Complainterator V10 is suggested by TerryNZ.

response to a spam I reported through spamcop, so I promptly reported this sinister response and it was assigned report tracking id is: 2210899132.
I don't see any connection to SpamCop in that email. How do you know it is the result of using our service?

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

I don't see any connection to SpamCop in that email. How do you know it is the result of using our service?

Yes, it is a weak assumption, based on my only reporting abuse using SpamCop, and also assumes that the sender is just a half-wit and not completely stupid. I admit that is a lot to assume, so the email could just as well be a random broadcast to a pool of email addresses. It may be that the spammer has no idea who reported him, just that it was someone from a list he used. On the other hand, it could be just some nut making a weird statement.

I only received the one email which bypassed my normal spam filters. From this discussion it appears the email was just bizarre behavior of a lone nut, rather than common a phenomena.

Archived