[Resolved] Webair.com bouncing Spam Reports

Every report of spammers on Webair.com has been bounced back with the following message:

Hello,

The email have you sent has been blocked because its matched a spam signature: <varying number> SpamAssasin . This block was added Friday September 8th 2006. Please feel free to contact us via phone at 516-938-4100 if you feel you have received this message in error.

Best Regards,

Webair Support Team

support[at]webair.com

http://www.webair.com

It does not matter which spammer is being reported, if the report goes to Webair.com, it will be bounced.

Just thought you should know, so they can be added to whatever list of bad ISPs there might be.

Moderator Edit: Moved out of the Reprting Help Forum section, merged into the existing Topic that addresses the subject matter. PM sent to advise of the action.

Every report of spammers on Webair.com has been bounced back with the following message:

It does not matter which spammer is being reported, if the report goes to Webair.com, it will be bounced.

Just thought you should know, so they can be added to whatever list of bad ISPs there might be.

Moderator Edit: Moved out of the Reprting Help Forum section, merged into the existing Topic that addresses the subject matter. PM sent to advise of the action.

I'm not sure this is the correct topic for this, as this refers to Webair.com bouncing mail FROM Spamcop, not reports TO Spamcop.

I'm not sure this is the correct topic for this, as this refers to Webair.com bouncing mail FROM Spamcop, not reports TO Spamcop.

Sorry, but that's not the way I read what you quoted ....

"The email have you sent has been blocked" sure seems to say to me that "your e-mail" did not leave the Webair system.

(In general) Had e-mail "from" SpamCop.net been 'blocked' ... you would not 'know' about it ....

Unless the person who sent the report is on Webair.com, I, too, read this sentence as Webair.com bouncing reports of spammers (because the report contains spam which is filtered by Webair).

I know that people often use terms according to their own interpretations, but 'bouncing' to me would indicate that the report was returned by Webair.com. If Webair didn't allow the email to be sent, I would think that the person would use 'blocked' or 'rejected' or 'wouldn't allow me' some other word.

The rejection notice itself doesn't make sense in English: "email have you sent" and certainly could be interpreted to mean the one that you sent to them, rather than the one that you were trying to send through them.

And, another point, do ISPs normally tell people that their email didn't go anywhere? When my email hasn't been 'accepted' by the email server, I get a technical message from the email software, not the ISP. Or now, that management has changed, no indication at all (except that I had copied myself and didn't receive it).

Miss Betsy

Unless the person who sent the report is on Webair.com, I, too, read this sentence as Webair.com bouncing reports of spammers (because the report contains spam which is filtered by Webair).

And that is exactly what is happening. Every single spam report FROM Spamcop TO Webair.com has been rejected by Webair.com. So it gets sent back to Spamcop, and then Spamcop in turn forwards the bounce message to me.

And, another point, do ISPs normally tell people that their email didn't go anywhere? When my email hasn't been 'accepted' by the email server, I get a technical message from the email software, not the ISP. Or now, that management has changed, no indication at all (except that I had copied myself and didn't receive it).

It seems to depend on the ISP. I know that Gmail's server software sends me a report when it can't send a message because the receiving system won't accept connections (as happened with my KnuJon reports for several days this week), but if it can get a connection and deliver the message to the receiving system, I get nothing, unless the receiving system sends out messages when it can't deliver mail it has accepted.

Every single spam report FROM Spamcop TO Webair.com has been rejected by Webair.com. So it gets sent back to Spamcop, and then Spamcop in turn forwards the bounce message to me.

OK, let us start over right here, forgetting the past conversations.

You are receiving spam which is originating from webair.com, sending them a spam report through spamcop and receiving a bounce back. Correct?

In that case, I usually forward the bounce to deputies[at]spamcop.net with a short note as to what is happening and eventually get a thank you back.

And this part of the thread can be moved out of this thread, though I am heading out right now and do not have the time.

OK, let us start over right here, forgetting the past conversations.

You are receiving spam which is originating from webair.com, sending them a spam report through spamcop and receiving a bounce back. Correct?

In that case, I usually forward the bounce to deputies[at]spamcop.net with a short note as to what is happening and eventually get a thank you back.

And this part of the thread can be moved out of this thread, though I am heading out right now and do not have the time.

Thanks. You have analyzed the problem correctly. I've forwarded one of the (nearly 100) rejection messages as you suggested.

Thanks to Don for handling this.

So much confusion due to the lack of a Tracking URL or complete set of headers over the 'exxampled' e-mailk that started this ... just didn't have to heppen ... marking this as Resolved ....

So much confusion due to the lack of a Tracking URL or complete set of headers over the 'exxampled' e-mailk that started this ... just didn't have to heppen ... marking this as Resolved ....
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1274464734z6...c68f3869d94e49z

The way I read the headers:

- Webair initiates this email

- received by Ironport server

- Spamcop headers are added, I don't know why?

- Ironport server hands off to my ISP, Sentex

- passed around within Sentex for various scanning

- received by my server

I'm curious about the added Spamcop headers. Why were they added?

...Stu

I just wanted to post a "Thank You" to the Deputies. Following a suggestion regarding Webair.com, I forwarded a sample of the return message I was receiving to the Deputies, and within a day had a response that explained why I was receiving return messages like that, and what they had done to fix the problem.

The explanation was clear and easy to understand, and the fix was one that solved the problem immediately. If only the places I pay hefty subscription fees to were as responsive and effective!

So, Thank you, Deputies!

Moderator Edit: Moved out of the Lounge area, Merged into the actual Topic

Archived