Reporting Headers

jjrowan

Over the last month I had been plagued by almost 1000 spams originating from 70.47.x.x which is Network Access. I submitted some of the spam to Spamcop but it got so bad I ended up just adding Network Access' IP Netblock to my sendmail access table to reject everything they send. This works fine but the server was still processing hundreds of spams per day (yes I know it's not a lot). I decided to place their IP Netblock in my server's iptables firewall so any communication from that range would simply be dropped (rather than rejected). Another of my servers started receiving spam from them. I added them to the access.db so the mail was bounced with my error message. I called the ISP's abuse phone number asking if they cater to spammers. They claimed they shut down spamming operations as soon as they verify they are in fact spammers. I told them I reported the spam to Spamcop and they should have acted on those reports.

The tech there said the reports from spamcop do not include headers and without it they can't verify it's from their network.

Does Spamcop send headers in the reports to ISPs?

You provided no data for anyone 'here' to look anything up.

You have not stated just what kind of Reporting you might be doing ... for instance, Mole reports don't actually go anywhere.

You can use the "Preview" button on the Parse Results page to see the content of the outgoing e-mail .... use of a Tracking URL / your Report History can also provide you with some of that content.

The easy answer, yes, headers are in the reports ... however, based on Reporting configuration settings, the 'real' complaint is that 'your' address isn't in that report, such that they can't remove your e-mail address from the outgoing spew ...

Wondering why if you are having such a time with this ISP that you decided to not actually identify them in your request for help ..... at least the IP address involved ....

<snip>

I called the ISP's abuse phone number asking if they cater to spammers. They claimed they shut down spamming operations as soon as they verify they are in fact spammers. I told them I reported the spam to Spamcop and they should have acted on those reports.

The tech there said the reports from spamcop do not include headers and without it they can't verify it's from their network.

Does Spamcop send headers in the reports to ISPs?

...See "SpamCop FAQ" (link near top of every SpamCop Forum page) entry labeled "What does a SpamCop Report look like?" Also, before you confirm that you want reports sent, there is a link or button you can click that will show you a copy of the report that SpamCop will send. Further, you can set an option that will send a copy of all your outgoing reports to the e-mail address of your choice (for Report-only users, this option is at URL http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=showadvanced [you must be logged in to see it] and is labeled "Personal copies of outgoing reports").

You provided no data for anyone 'here' to look anything up.

You have not stated just what kind of Reporting you might be doing ... for instance, Mole reports don't actually go anywhere.

You can use the "Preview" button on the Parse Results page to see the content of the outgoing e-mail .... use of a Tracking URL / your Report History can also provide you with some of that content.

The easy answer, yes, headers are in the reports ... however, based on Reporting configuration settings, the 'real' complaint is that 'your' address isn't in that report, such that they can't remove your e-mail address from the outgoing spew ...

Wondering why if you are having such a time with this ISP that you decided to not actually identify them in your request for help ..... at least the IP address involved ....

I did identify them as Network Access but it should have been Net Access Corporation. I did identify their Class B network: 70.47.x.x.

I had used the search option but apparently didn't specify the correct content to search for. Thanks for the info on SpamCop FAQ, I'll spend time there.

I did identify them as Network Access but it should have been Net Access Corporation. I did identify their Class B network: 70.47.x.x.

and someone 'here' is supposed to spend the time wading through data like;

http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queri...ess+Corporation

# of domains controlled by this network owner 5754

# IPs used by this network owner 1953

# IPs controlled by this network owner 254208

Addresses in Net Access Corporation used to send email

Showing 1 - 50 out of 1915

Addresses in nac.net used to send email

Showing 1 - 50 out of 98

If you would provide the specific IP address(es) in question, data could possibly be retreived.

I had used the search option but apparently didn't specify the correct content to search for. Thanks for the info on SpamCop FAQ, I'll spend time there.

There is more than one "search option" available. If the links to the SpamCop FAQ evaded your notice, then the page at Where to get Help will come as quite a shock to you ..

Can't help but notice that you quoted my post and left it completely intact, yet only replied to one (OK, two) line(s) of that entire post ...???

FWIW, I just had trouble with the 'search' in the menu (the one that is between Help and Members at the top of the page towards the right. I had not 'selected' a place to search so didn't get any results. Once I highlighted 'forums' it worked just fine (except for less than four letters)

Miss Betsy

Archived