scripting reporting of held email

sweetreason

spamcop catches several hundred spams for me each day. most of them are in CJK languages which i can't even display properly, let alone read, so i run a cron job that loads my held email page and reports messages with more than ten non-ASCII characters in the subject. that makes it much easier for me to read the list.

on weekends when i go away, the 100-message limit is quickly reached, and i have a lot of unreadable junk to handle when i return. is there, or could there be, a way to tell the held email page to start at a particular message, or to skip some given number of them? that way, my scri_pt could avoid reloading the messages it has already seen, and could report all the bad ones all weekend long.

thanks.

I don't quite understand .. Path followed to make this post;

How to use .... Instructions, Tutorials

System parts & Functions not fully explained under an existing Help menu / option .... Questions still needed to be asked about How to use/do something are to be posted into that function's Forum section.

SpamCop Reporting

How to Instructions Only - Problems and issues belong in the other specific Forum sections

The use of an automated, scripted, unattended Reporting mechanisn is simply way out of bounds, the problems ran into by way too many folks trying to do this are smply legion here, thus always recommended against in here.

Your query is based on use of an item associated with a SpamCop.net e-mail account, but is actually an ancient back-end type connection between JT's systems and Julian's/IronPort's systems .... that interface was defined as "will receive no future development work" years ago. (SpamCop FAQ and Wiki address this under the "What is VER?" type entries.)

Based on the fact that your actual question seems to be dealing with "how to write a magic scri_pt" I am moving this topic to the Forum secrion titled Geek/Tech Things ... further divided between hardware/software .. this obviously being software ....

i wasn't able to find anything relevant in FAQs, help, or the forums, though that does not mean it isn't there.

i'm not using any back-end stuff, just the same web page that i use when manually checking held email. my scri_pt loads and analyzes that page, then posts a list of emails to report and delete, just as i would do manually. that works fine, except for the 100-item limit.

is this discussed in some place that i failed to find?

i wasn't able to find anything relevant in FAQs, help, or the forums, though that does not mean it isn't there.

i'm not using any back-end stuff, just the same web page that i use when manually checking held email. my scri_pt loads and analyzes that page, then posts a list of emails to report and delete, just as i would do manually. that works fine, except for the 100-item limit.

is this discussed in some place that i failed to find?

Is your scri_pt going to be checking that the messages are actually spam and that the reports are going to the correct places? That is what you agreed to when you signed up for a reporting account. Otherwise, it sounds like you are simply re-writing the http://mailsc.spamcop.net/reportheld?action=heldlog page. Please be extra careful with any scripting for automated reporting. Many people have lost their reporting privliges due to such hacks.

There is no way around the 100-item limit on that page. It is like that specifically so people could not hurt themselves (and spamcop's reputation) by not scanning the messages manually and making sure the items really were spam or reporting non-spam in great numbers.

You can raise the limit of items per page within the webmail application, if that would help you. I'm not sure what the limit is, if there is one there.

i am in fact just loading and parsing the heldlog page, to do a 'Quick' report of lines like this:

[259259] jbfwocvvbdrchv[at]hosanna.net (°£´ÜÇÑ ¼³¹®¿¡ Âü¿©Çýô ¸ðµçºÃ¿¡°Ô °øÂ¥·Î ÃÖ½ÅÈÞ´ëÆùÀ» µå¸³´Ã´Ù. Preview )

so, my scri_pt is doing what i would do myself, but saving me from having to visually wade through all that garbage, which runs to about 70% of the reports and threatens to bury false positives. (not that i have seen one in a year or more.)

i am in fact just loading and parsing the heldlog page, to do a 'Quick' report of lines like this:

[259259] jbfwocvvbdrchv[at]hosanna.net (°£´ÜÇÑ ¼³¹®¿¡ Âü¿©ÇϽô ¸ðµçºÐ¿¡°Ô °øÂ¥·Î ÃÖ½ÅÈÞ´ëÆùÀ» µå¸³´Ï´Ù. Preview )

so, my scri_pt is doing what i would do myself, but saving me from having to visually wade through all that garbage, which runs to about 70% of the reports and threatens to bury false positives. (not that i have seen one in a year or more.)

Be careful, I have received replies to some of my reports to Chinese ISP's in my Held Mail folder. These are not spam and the subject was like your example. The only way I determined they were replies was the IP address in the message prompted me to babelfish them.

Archived