No mailhost probes getting through

I have recently acquired an additional email address. So I try to configure its mailhosts. I got as far as "SpamCop has just sent you 5 test messages to antoine.mechelynck[at]gmail.com." After that, nothing, nichevo, niente, nada, zilch. It looks like Gmail is dropping those test emails on the floor as if they were spam. What should I do?

It looks like Gmail is dropping those test emails on the floor as if they were spam. What should I do?
Cripes Tony, there's a ton of references in "here" about Gmail and mailhosting but I don't recall anything in the way of insurmountable problems (though one case needed Don's help to sort it out). Anything of value in Gmail: gotchas, mini-How To, and questions?

[...] Anything of value in Gmail: gotchas, mini-How To, and questions?
"Check your gmail spam folder" (I didn't know I had one: I read my gmail mail by POP using Thunderbird). Bingo! The ten test emails which SpamCop sent me before I went to sleep (in two waves, because I tried again when I didn't see any of the first five) were there, but as one "thread" so at first I thought there was only one of them. Also, of the 8 "threads" which were there, exactly two were "actually" spam on the face of them. Morality: the gmail spam filters are much too strict. I'd rather not have them. I wonder if there's any way to turn them off. (But that question is OT in a SC forum.)

...Morality: the gmail spam filters are much too strict. I'd rather not have them. I wonder if there's any way to turn them off. (But that question is OT in a SC forum.)
Be that as it may, there might be some commentary on these forums - for instance Gmail vs. Yahoo!, Jeff G's Experiences, Caveat Emptor seems to indicate "then" (several years ago) that Jeff G never found a way to turn them off. I think this topic could stay open a little longer and slightly OT in the event some Gmail users (or former users) would like to offer a comment.

Be that as it may, there might be some commentary on these forums - for instance Gmail vs. Yahoo!, Jeff G's Experiences, Caveat Emptor seems to indicate "then" (several years ago) that Jeff G never found a way to turn them off. I think this topic could stay open a little longer and slightly OT in the event some Gmail users (or former users) would like to offer a comment.

About two years ago. Nowadays, Gmail offers some crude way of whitelisting (any mail "from" one of your "contacts" will never be treated as spam). It's from-line-based (not IP-address-based) and therefore spoofable, but their help mentions it as the whitelisting method.

I've written them a support question saying that I'd rather have no spam filtering on my Gmail account because:

• I read my Google mail by POP
  • This is not my only mail account
  • I use Bayesian filters (built into my POP client, Mozilla Thunderbird), I train them myself, and they now perform quite well
  • I found more non-spam than spam in my Gmail "spam" folder.

I don't expect any positive action, but I guess it's all I can do.

• 2 months later...
I wish gmail would subscribe to the SBCL...

I just reported a spam and found out that google.com is refusing to accept spam reports.

...Two different things, I trust you realize? :) <g> Subscribing to the SCBL would allow GMail to sort/distribute/block spam. Accepting spam reports is a whole other (and unrelated) thing....

...Have you tried complaining to GMail directly?

Archived