unauthorized use of my e-mail address

RebeccaD

I really don't know how to use this forum yet, but does anyone know how someone else can be using MY e-mail address to send advertisements? I'm the only one who uses this computer, and I THOUGHT the only one who uses my e-mail address, but for the last week, I've been getting all of these "undeliverable" ads for "male enhancers" that have supposedly been sent from my address!! How do I find out who's doing this? and how do I get it to stop?!?!?!

Thank you,

RebeccaD

The majority of the answer can be found at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=203

and of course, you could read through these Forums and find that many folks have asked the same question, dealing with the same problem, and you'll also find that there's really not a lot you can do, unless you can come up with the magic clue to physically get hold of the spammer's neck and apply appropriate pressure <g>

Anyone can put any name they want in the from address. Not that it is right or anything like that I am just saying it's a very simple 2 second change. Spammers always do this, as they are the scum of the earth and take no responsibility for their actions. They do not care about you or I or anyone else as long as they can get their putrid spew in everyones inbox. That way you gey many of the non-deliverables so they don't have to deal with them. Everyone nowadays knows that from addresses in spam are usually forged. Spammers are lower than pon scum.

Spammers are lower than pon scum.

True, and the bounces with forged e-mail addresses can be as anoying as the spam itself. At one point I was getting >200 bounces or spam filtered returns with my e-mail forged as sender. I started sending the spam reports to the administrators of the offending spams. It seems to have worked, I am getting less bounces.

Standard reply here that it is against SpamCop's rules to report spam you receive as a bounce.  You can use it to get the source (until you enable mailhosts) but you are supposed to manually LART these types of messages.

I'm not sure this was about reporting them, I think it's more about getting them :unsure:

Archived