Gotta love some site Admins ...????

Wazoo

http://www.ipsbeyond.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25959 - my reference

IPSBeyond _ IPB Assistance _ Collecting Member Email Addresses

Posted by: pdunn Aug 4 2007, 06:52 PM

Is there a way for me to collect and save all my member's email addresses? I am about to start an email marketing campaign and need to collect these addresses.

I'm not using the addy's for spam, just a site newsletter run thru Constant Contact. Thanks for your help, and please keep your explanations simple for a newbie!

Posted by: Îœichael Aug 4 2007, 07:01 PM

Just run this query in your SQL Toolbox:

SELECT email FROM ibf_members

That will return all email addresses for all of your members. Depending on how many members you have, this may take a few pages to display.

Posted by: pdunn Aug 4 2007, 07:08 PM

Thanks Michael! I knew it was that easy!

Posted by: Wazoo Aug 4 2007, 10:59 PM

QUOTE(pdunn [at] Aug 4 2007, 06:52 PM)

I'm not using the addy's for spam, just a site newsletter run thru Constant Contact.

"Constant Contact" e-mail is in fact considered and treated as spam by numbers of folks. Others don't much appreciate that their e-mail addresses have been handed out to some third-party. Is this (inappropriate) use of user's data addressed in your Terms of Service / Privacy Statement?

Hmm...running this through the Universal Translator...

"I want to harvest all of the e-mail addresses from my board without the knowledge or permission of their owners, so I can send them unsolicited e-mail. But don't worry, folks, I'm not a spammer, cuz I'm using Constant Contact."

I wonder why he couldn't just post whatever he wants to say on his board, rather than using broadcast e-mail. That's what the board is for, n'est ce pas?

Maybe he'll take that mighty big LART of a hint you gave him.

-- rick

http://www.ipsbeyond.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25962 - my reference

Can't help but think that this has to be an interesting (?) site ...

IPSBeyond _ IPB Assistance _ Reset Board

Posted by: samywamy100 Aug 4 2007, 07:54 PM

I need to reset my board so it is like how it came. It is version 2.1.7.

Thanks,

Sam.

Posted by: riven3d Aug 4 2007, 07:59 PM

you just registered here, and your using 2.1.7 and asking this question? why do you want to reset it

Posted by: samywamy100 Aug 4 2007, 11:07 PM

Because I used it for something I don't like any more...and I want to start fresh.

Posted by: Wazoo Aug 4 2007, 11:12 PM

That answer would suggest that the best action to take at this point then would be to download the current version of this application and do a fresh install .... that way everything is 'fresh from ground zero' and you're 'current' ....

Maybe he'll take that mighty big LART of a hint you gave him.

Hard to say .... wondering if I'll get a slap on the wrist from the response offered to his/her last ....

Posted by: pdunn Aug 4 2007, 11:13 PM

Sorry Wazoo........I'm not "handing anything off to a third party". I'm using the CC service to send and manage my newsletter to registered members of my site. They will have the option to opt out and they will be removed from the campaign. The campaign will be site content updates and news. So, explain to me how this would be "inappropriate", Sir?

Posted by: Wazoo Aug 5 2007, 12:57 AM

(pdunn [at] Aug 4 2007, 11:13 PM)Sorry Wazoo........I'm not "handing anything off to a third party". I'm using the CC service to send and manage my newsletter to registered members of my site.

???? User comes to your site. User Registers on your site. That makes two parties involved, the user and your site. How do you figure that your use of some other company's services does not constitute "third-party activity" ...????

They will have the option to opt out and they will be removed from the campaign. The campaign will be site content updates and news. So, explain to me how this would be "inappropriate", Sir?

spam is what I deal with. Opting-out is simply the wrong plan. The single-page=expanded version of the http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2238 contains a number of references on how to "run a mailing list" ....

The use of your subscriber data is simply a whole different subject ....

Nope .... he/she hasn't gotten the clue yet it appears ....

Posted by: pdunn Aug 5 2007, 11:59 AM

Fine Wazoo......Since I said I was a newbie in my first post, and because you seem to be THE internet cop, tell me how Constant Contact is legal at all? Maybe I'll reconsider using them to email my members. All I want to do is some inside marketing to draw more member participation. The IBP bulk email function is prone to timing out and doesn't manage bounce backs or unsubscribes. Please tell me the best way to email my 15-20 thousand members about new news on the site, no spam or advertising, just news. If using CC is truly considered spam, then I'll have to look at other ways.

Posted by: Wazoo Aug 5 2007, 06:51 PM

(pdunn [at] Aug 5 2007, 11:59 AM)

Fine Wazoo......Since I said I was a newbie in my first post, and because you seem to be THE internet cop,

???? Simply a volunteer in supporting the SpamCop.net tool-set.

tell me how Constant Contact is legal at all?

Legality is an issue I did not raise.

Maybe I'll reconsider using them to email my members. All I want to do is some inside marketing to draw more member participation. The IBP bulk email function is prone to timing out and doesn't manage bounce backs or unsubscribes. Please tell me the best way to email my 15-20 thousand members about new news on the site, no spam or advertising, just news.

I suggested that FAQ entries already exist that point to other sites that deal with the responsible use of any type of mailing-list.

If using CC is truly considered spam, then I'll have to look at other ways.

Although I am in the crowd that considers it spam (in addition to the anger invoked at the user that added my data to thier list), I did not call it spam, only pointing out that it is a well-known e-mail source that causes complaints to be generated by numbers of recipients. Again, my actual point was you deciding to gather up all your user's information and make that available to a third-party. I have no doubt of the repercussions if I were to try to do something like this with the folks I support.

He would certainly get himself/his forum some unfavorable reviews in McAfee SiteAdvisor if he sends out unsolicited newsletters/invitations based on internal data mining. In a material way it is not spam due to the "existing association" rule which comes into most anti-spam law one way or the other - but reputation should be more important than legality. Upsetting some of the membership in order to "optimise services" is spammy thinking, slice it how you will, IMO.

From the "what's new?" department, the "how do I contact anybody" aisle ....

http://www.ipsbeyond.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26107

IPSBeyond _ IPB Assistance _ How Do I Remove The "contact The Forums Administrator"

Posted by: medpotn Aug 9 2007, 07:42 PM

When we changed our forum version to the 2.1.7, I asked that the option "Contact the forums administrator" to be removed, but it wasn't done.

Is it possible to remove this option?

Some spammers are sending spam directly to my email's inbox and some hackers are sending computer viruses using this option.

I received the following reply from Keith at IPS:

Hello,

This can be removed from the skin. It should be under:

Admin CP -> LOOK & FEEL -> Click the drop-down next to your skin -> Edit Template HTML -> All Global HTML -> error

Unfortunately we do not do skin customizations directly. For assistance with skin customizations, it is recommended to visit our official resource site www.ipsbeyond.com

Thank you,

Keith Kacin

Support Supervisor

Invision Power Services

I followed all the steps as indicated by Keith, but once I'm at Error, what do I do to totally remove the "Contact the forums administrator" option with my personal email address?

Thanks for your assistance!

Marc

Posted by: Timmy Aug 9 2007, 07:49 PM

Find and remove this:

<li><a href="java scri_pt:contact_admin();">{$this->ipsclass->lang['er_contact_admin']}</a></li>

Posted by: medpotn Aug 9 2007, 07:59 PM

Thank you very much for your help Timmy - it worked just fine!

Marc

I followed all the steps as indicated by Keith, but once I'm at Error, what do I do to totally remove the "Contact the forums administrator" option with my personal email address?
Certainly, it would make the administrator's job a lot easier if no one could actually contact him. Reminds me of good old Major Major (or to use his full name and title, Major Major Major Major) in Catch-22, who told his aide to allow people in to see him only if he was out of the office.

-- rick

Archived