Trash purging too soon

Hi folks,

I have my webmail trash purge option set to purge automatically after 21 days. Options are set to perform maintenance function at login but not to confirm.

(Using the old system, not the Beta... I did check the settings in Beta and it was also set to 21 days.)

However, I looked today (I don't look often) and found that the most recent item in my Trash folder is from July 31.

That is a problem, because I was hoping to find an item from almost three weeks ago. But it is not there.

(As I said, I don't actually look at my Trash often, and I don't expect to use it as a filing area, but if it turns out I need something I deleted, I'd like to be able to -- up to the limit of time I set in my options.)

I think this constitutes a bug report, because I can't think of anything I did to get rid of older trash. But has anyone else noticed similar behavior?

Thanks!

I'm confused. I'm not using an IMAP connection, or even POP3 for that matter. ..... Very occasionally, I POP my Inbox to clean it out, but the issue is with the Trash folder.

?? and the reply dealt with the Trash Folder. If you want, I can add/say that I log in directly at times while trying to analyze someone else's issues (to include yours this day) .... but the point is, the suiff in my Trash folder is not disappearing in the timeline you are suggesting in your account.

Thanks, folks.

I have been watching my Trash closely the past few days and I see that another day's worth is purged every day (so I always have 4 or 5 days, depending how you count days). My setting is 21.

I am going to try one more thing, which is to reset my purge options and see if that makes any difference.

If that doesn't work, I'll send a note to JT.

I have been watching my Trash closely the past few days and I see that another day's worth is purged every day (so I always have 4 or 5 days, depending how you count days). My setting is 21.

I'm not using my SpamCop e-mail account at present but I'm just confirming that purging appeared to take place a few days early on my account too when I was using it a few weeks ago. Not a problem as the only e-mail in my Trash folder was spam but of course it should work as advertised. :)

I have two spamcop email accounts, and both of them have always purged the Trash folder of messages older than 5 or 6 days.

You don't indicate what your purge setting is (Options | Maintenance Operations). I reset mine to 22 days and it's still purging after 5 days.

As g4mby said, it should work as advertised.

I have set the options not to purge at all and I'll see what happens.

You don't indicate what your purge setting is (Options | Maintenance Operations). I reset mine to 22 days and it's still purging after 5 days.

As g4mby said, it should work as advertised.

I have set the options not to purge at all and I'll see what happens.

Sorry. One of my accounts is set at 21days. The other is set at 14 days. Neither of them have a message older than 4 days right now. I think I tried a number of different settings some months ago, none of which seemed to make a difference. I didn't pursue it because my list of projects is too long as it is.

The option you set to delete e-mail from the trash after X days is specifically an option for the webmail system. When you log in to webmail, it checks to see if any e-mails in the trash are older than X days and removes them. However, the Spamcop e-mail service deletes e-mail from trash folders after a few days regardless of what your webmail setting happens to be. The webmail setting can only be used to *reduce* the number of days that trash is held.

-Trevor

The option you set to delete e-mail from the trash after X days is specifically an option for the webmail system. When you log in to webmail, it checks to see if any e-mails in the trash are older than X days and removes them. However, the Spamcop e-mail service deletes e-mail from trash folders after a few days regardless of what your webmail setting happens to be. The webmail setting can only be used to *reduce* the number of days that trash is held.

Thanks for that information. Could you define "a few days" any more precisely? Apparently this is a change from the information given in February 2004 by Jefft who said:'

"Held Mail will automatically be deleted after 14 days. Trash after 20 days."

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...dpost&p=980

Thanks for that information. Could you define "a few days" any more precisely? Apparently this is a change from the information given in February 2004 by Jefft who said:'

"Held Mail will automatically be deleted after 14 days. Trash after 20 days."

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...dpost&p=980

The latest settings are:

Held mail is deleted after 10 days, trash is deleted after 3 days. This only happens once a day, so it may appear to be 11/4 days.

-Trevor

Well, thanks everyone for clearing that up. At least I know I was not crazy.

Now I'll take another chance on being crazy...

How does any mail get into the Trash bin without someone using webmail to put it there? I'm guessing that's the only way it gets there.

If that's the case, and Spamcop has a problem with the amount of trash, then I think it should be reflected in the webmail options (i.e., limit the purge option to whatever Spamcop needs and let webmail maintain the trash).

If there are other sources of trash, of course, my argument goes "poof." But then from the standpoint of making a user-friendly system it would be nice to remove the purge options from webmail. Then you don't have users thinking we are crazy (or other users thinking we're crazy), the hallmark of a user-hostile system.

IMHO.

How does any mail get into the Trash bin without someone using webmail to put it there? I'm guessing that's the only way it gets there.

We need to remove that option from the webmail options, because it is confusing and unnecessary.

As for how mail gets to the Trash folder without using webmail, that's for users who use an IMAP e-mail client. If you have your e-mail client setup to login via IMAP and you delete mail, it will be moved to the Trash folder. However, many e-mail clients do not automatically purge the trash folder, so we do it automatically. Webmail is really just an IMAP e-mail client, and everything it does can be duplicated by a program you run on your PC/phone/PDA... we have to support all of those clients, not just webmail. That's why some of the webmail settings seem to conflict with our automatic processes.

Hope this helps,

-Trevor

The latest settings are:

Held mail is deleted after 10 days, trash is deleted after 3 days. This only happens once a day, so it may appear to be 11/4 days.

Still trying to sort out just where to stick this into the FAQ / Wiki .... Considering that the last data point was in 2004, and this one is described as "the current setting" ....

Still trying to sort out just where to stick this into the FAQ / Wiki .... Considering that the last data point was in 2004, and this one is described as "the current setting" ....

Well, it's not exactly changed day-to-day. One day JT realized there was an excessive amount of trash on the servers and lowered the retention time. It can be considered a permanent setting.

-Trevor

Archived