Rise in Spam Submitted and Reports Sent

Jeff G.

Per http://alpha.cesmail.net/graphics/spamstats.gif , there has been a dramatic increase in both parameters. spam submitted (per second) has gone from the usual 14-15 yesterday (until 23 hours ago) to the high 30's for the next 11 hours, and now around 60 for the past 12 hours. Reports Sent have been commensurate.

Mine has approximately doubled over the last 2 days. Possibly since a relative in the US succumbed to the myDoom virus. I know my e-mail was included as I got the bounce message back from Yale - so goodness knows where else my e-mail was spoofed to!

PS

I had planned to stop reporting to spam cop - it was eating into my sleeping time - but decided to report only the worst adult and Nigerian scam type stuff instead (then I got 6 today) ... oh well, that's life!

How many email addresses are you watching over?

On one domain, 10^56 (36^36) minimum (a catchall address). Fortunately, it gets almost no spam yet. That one domain could fill a Federal Do-Not-Email Registry. :)

Aside from those, I'm monitoring over a dozen MSN Hotmail and MSN accounts, one account with half a dozen aliases on one commercial ISP, two accounts on another commercial ISP, five accounts with two role aliases on a dotcom, two accounts on Yahoo, a few accounts on MyRealBox, dozens of addresses at SneakEmail and SpamMotel, and one account each on MailandNews and MochaMail. I abandoned my netscape.net, usa.net, mail.com, and consultant.com addresses because they were incompatible with my streamlined collection policies.

Archived